Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I spotted a "BYF" mauser from 1941 or 1942 (can't remember) in a LGS the other day...

Everything was matching...The only issue was that Bubba had altered the stock substantially. !

Is the rifle worth purchasing? Asking price is sub $600...Had a thought to put a replacement stock on her and be done.

What say you all!?

·
Banned
7,237 Posts
With or without bands and rear sight body?
That price is pretty close without those bits if the bore is minty..if it has the bits and the bore is minty then buy it.
If the barrel taper has been sportered then perhaps a walk away, for me anyway.

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Correction on price...sub $500
All bands are present and rear sight body has ALL its parts..no sporterizing (sp?) of the barrel...barrel is original and bore is in Very good shape!
Everything is there...just some dufus messed with the stock..

·
Banned
7,237 Posts
Run, do not walk..back over there...
I've got a BYF44 thats matching except for the safety lever that also has a carved on stock..but I paid more for it than the one you saw...

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
The store is closed today..darn it.
Will get over there on Monday for some more recon and intel gathering..and a pic or two, if I get a chance.
I've seen various stocks for sell on the web...What, specifically, would I look for in a replacement stock?

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
things not looking good

Apparently I managed to mix up/co mingled my mausers! There were two mausers that I was looking at in the same store.
Got to get more rest and work less! The other Mauser was a complete Persian; but with a mix of milled bands and a stamped trigger guard. Sigh.

The one Mauser that I thought was a 1941 or 42 BYF...is actually a 1943 BCD .

She's in worse shape than I remember...Sorry to get your hopes up...Here are some sad pics.
Rear sights missing..somebody added a Redfield peep sight..Bugger

The front and rear bands are obviously long gone!

:eek:

The stock is so sporterized as to be useless for a rebuild

Damn Bubba! You messed up a beautiful K98 ! AZZhol

I not sure I can see a way of saving her! Very Sad day. Even at $475-$450...it's just not worth it!
Going to go drink a beer and wonder at what might have been....

·
Premium Member
804 Posts
My rule of thumb is that if the stock is a write off and missing all the stock metal, but the receiver is intact and original, it is worth buying if the price is right. If the bolt, magazine, rod, hood, etc are still present then it is definitely worth buying.

·
Registered
1,593 Posts
I have a proper rear sight assembly for that, and a period correct stock but once all the prices add up you'd be much better served to buy a nice bolt m/m for the same money.

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
possibly a stupid set of questions...

but here goes anyway...
Where the BCD Mausers ALWAYS in a hardwood stock / hand guard?
Or did that factory also have to revert to the laminated stocks and hand guards towards the end of the war as well? If so, what year did the change happen?
The reason I ask is that I have an extra laminate k98 stock laying around looking for something to do....

Please forgive all stupid questions,
German Mauser newb... trying to learn

Been working some serious OT to get bills paid and have some "toy" money...
Did manage to snag a nice 98/22 today at a price that I could live with, $250

·
Registered
1,593 Posts
Ok, trying again as my last attempt failed.
No, BCD used very few hardwood socks to be honest, compared to laminate usage. They started pre-war as the firm BSW using hardwood/flat butt plate stocks. In 1939 they changed ownership and firm code to "337" in mid 1939 where they immediately went to laminate flat plate stocks. Continued in 1940 as 337 with flat/laminates. In 1941 two things occurred. They changed to the code BCD and also to cupped butt plate stocks, primarily laminate but random runs of hardwood. Random and somewhat rare from 1941-45.

·
Banned
7,237 Posts
Wow, I never saw a BCD in hardwood furniture, they must be rare indeed..

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.