Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
A gentleman on a local gun forum wants to sell me a byf 44 a block. He sent me some pic & stated it was a vet bring back he bought from Joe salter. Here is the problem, the bands are unnumbered & the stock has a different 6 digit code stamped on the inside & the stamped trigger guard has lock screws. The rifle certainly has patina on the walnut stock & laminate handguard. What do you think? Is it possible the stock was replaced during the war or are we looking at a sporter restoration?

Attachments

·
Diamond member
1,631 Posts
...Here is the problem, the bands are unnumbered & the stock has a different 6 digit code stamped on the inside
The bands would have been numbered and the stock should be internally matching to the rifle with the correct 5 digit (or less depending on how many digits are in the serial number) serial number.

the stamped trigger guard has lock screws.
The triggerguard should have locking screws and should be serial numbered. The floorplate should also be serial numbered.

What do you think? Is it possible the stock was replaced during the war or are we looking at a sporter restoration?
Most likely a sporter rescue. I would pass on it unless the price is way low.

·
Registered
1,917 Posts
What do you think?
Sounds like a parts gun worth 250-450 just depending.... Should you buy it?
Depends what you want.

I have a nice early '37 Sauer that is on the trader section (from a few weeks ago) that is collectable if you're interested in a higher piece at a higher price...​

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
He is asking $925 cnd. I would love to get a rifle from the US but the state department has made that rather expensive these days. I ordered a rguns sniper in 08 & it cost me $1100 all in, today that would be closer to $2000.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts