Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
BYF 43 I picked up from my local dealer. Actually traded him a little ammo for it. After I stripped the 'shellac' off I found this FUGLY, FUGLY stock. Strange stains? Do you think a real wood pro could salvage this stock? or start looking for a replacement? Interested in your thoughts

·
Registered
1,725 Posts
It Looks like a walnut stock to me that has a lot of grease, oil and grime in it. I would heat it with a hair dryer to try and get the grease out. I actually think it may be a good looking stock with some natural stripeing in it.

·
Copper Bullet Member
12,725 Posts
Seen way worse. Had good luck with oxalic acid to remove some of the dark rust stains (like around recoil bolt). Got some at hardware store under Dap label. Caution stuff really can hurt you - use care and very, very little. Maybe other have better/safer methods.

·
Silver Bullet Member
877 Posts
That's supposed to be fugly? Personally I think you should leave it alone. It has character and looks like something that was used. I hate to see what you must think of Bones's beaver chewed stock :)

G

·
You're joking right? IMHO there is nothing wring with that stock, it has a very pleasing patina on it.
If you think you're going to clean it and it's going to get that blonde look, you are very mistaken. Maybe you should contact Mario and get a Norwegian capture stock if that ones not doing it for you. I'd leave that one alone.

·
Silver Bullet member
1,427 Posts
That's a nice looking stock. I do agree with BIO that the sling looks pretty bad though.

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
That sling is damn ugly - no disagreements with that. I had it laying around the gun room from some horse trade at one point or another.

The stock is walnut I believe with some nice natural tiger stripes. The dark splotches on the stock are what really bother me.

·
Registered
1,262 Posts
I agree with many of the others that your stock looks nice. It has a lot of character and looks far better than most of the stocks I see on RC's.

·
Registered
518 Posts
Quick way to get the oil and stains out is to use a paint stripper - as used for cellulose paint - not one based on sodium hydroxide, one based on thinners. Should be a clear gel, which you can brush on and wipe off 30 mins later with an old cloth. After a few applications the stock will end up looking clean but dry like a piece of driftwood, and then you need to feed it with linseed oil.

·
Registered
1,593 Posts
I like the stock. Good , honest walnut with some great tiger striping. I am not much of a cleaner. I would leave it as is unless there is some kind of harmfull agent on the wood that is getting worse it would stay as is in my collection.

mow.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.