Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
664 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I had some free time today and was reading my copy of "Backbone of the Wehrmacht", checking the numbers and proof marks on my K98. I thought I would share some pics of my rifle.

I don't have much of a back story to the rifle. I bought it a couple years ago from an "old timer" at a local gun show for just over $600. He got it from a Vet that lived in California many years ago. He said that he was told it was a "parade gun"? It does not look as if it has seen any action in its life. The bore looks brand new like a Swede rifle. There is not an import mark on it. It has not been duffle cut. I do need to get a correct cleaning rod for it. I do think the stock was steel wooled at one point. The WAa135 mark is still visible on the stock but quite faint.

·
Registered
664 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
There are a couple questions I have. 1st. the bayonet lug does not have any acceptance marks on it or numbers. The second is (I'll post a pic) the blueing on the rear sight is complete. Usually there is only blueing in the graduation lines and numbers. Did the rear sights come from the factory completely blued, and just rubbed off from use? I know in 1942 the Germans started cutting corners in manufacturing. Any thoughts?

·
Registered
664 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
No thoughts yet i guess. This is my first K98 and from what I can tell, and a buddy of mine can tell the gun looks legit. But because of the price I paid, the bluing and everything almost look too good. I hate that "look too good" feeling. I did see that it has pencil marks on the inside of the stock, looks like a 2 over a 5?

·
Copper Bullet member
1,497 Posts
The bayonet lug may be correct, I think it was around 1942 that they stopped numbering them. As to the rear sight, I think they were completely blued, so this one just likely did not see much use. Looks like the stock was lightly sanded though.

·
Registered
664 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I have noticed that later in '42 the front barrel bands were changed for easier manufacturing. And the underside of the rear sights stopped having any markings on them. they must have been using up the rest of the old parts when mine was made i guess. Thanks for the info! There is just way too much info on German Mausers to swallow in a short amount of time.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.