Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
347 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Here are some pics of a recently acquired 98k. This one was made by Mauser in 1942. It's in the "L" block, and does not have the later production expedients that began showing up in late 1942. The receiver and barrel have WaA135 stemples. Many other componants are were made by FN (Liege) and are WaA140 marked including the entire bolt assembly and front sight base. The bore and chamber are excellent, and the bolt operates very smoothly. All serials match, including the band spring. The finish has thinned and gone a bit splotchy, but there is no pitting, just flecks of corrosion here and there. Not pictured is the butt plate, which is stamped "brg". The stock has not been sanded, "cleaned", or varnished, but its sharp upper edges are slightly worn at the natural grip. All in all, I was pleased to have found this one!

Attachments

·
Copper Bullet Member
1,736 Posts
It does look a bit to "clean" for a byf42 stock IMHO. Im sure Turbo Archie will get into more details on his reasoning though. He does have a nose for 98k stocks and is pretty much spot on on with "issues"....

·
Registered
26 Posts
Pics of the serial number in the barrel channel and bottom of handguard? Stock should have WaA135 on grip and near the take down ring. Here is a pic of one on my byf 42 all matching.
My stock is much darker than the example presented in this thread.

·
Registered
347 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
Photo of the stock's barrel channel and handguard interior, and the left (serial numbered) side of the upper band. The stock looks light colored in most of the photos above, but appears much darker in person. The photo of the entire rifle above is closer to the actual shade, as well as the exterior wood visible below. WaA135 stemples on the wrist and flat of the stock are present and very nice, but did not photograph well.

Attachments

·
Silver Bullet member
3,064 Posts
Please keep in mind my opinion is based off the pictures provided and not in-hand evaluation.

The pictures show a cleaned stock with faint proofs and open grain from water damage - JMO..
The stock doesn't have the same look as hooknlatter posted..

Not trying to throw rocks, but also not going to agree with the statements made..

byf42s show up, but they are a hard gun to find in the right condition.. Enjoy it..

·
Registered
347 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
Turbo Archie,

Good eye, especially working from my less-than-professional-quality photos. I believe you're right on about the water damage. This one has been gotten wet, a lot. Like you noticed, the grain is mostly open. It's also full of dirt and grime at the gripping areas, which is why I believe that the stock has not been cleaned. The WaA135 stemples are present and clear, but have little depth to them, probably because of the moisture mentioned.

Mauser Oberndorf produced more 98Ks in 1942 than in any other year, so this rifle is probably very common, but I have not seen many of these. I feel fortunate to have acquired this one.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.