Gunboards Forums banner
21 - 40 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
128 Posts
well you can probably get a job at Mitchell's
Haha. Some responses on internet boards make me chuckle quite a bit.

All things considered, doing that to the stock is not the worse of things. If anything, you removed the grime that was collected over the years and made it appear the way it did out of the factory. So you got close to removing the "history" behind it, but also made it much closer to what it used to be. I wouldn't necessarily do that to a collector piece like that, but it's not nearly as bad as making it another Remchesterby.

Personally, if it's from the family it gets left the way it is. If I get ahold of my Grandfather's bring back Luger, that's staying with me just the way it is.

·
Registered
191 Posts
Stock cleaning

Personally I think it looks better cleaned and I agree with the above post that says you have it back closer to how it was issued. It's your gun, go out and have fun with it. Can't turn back the clock so don't even think twice about it. Just enjoy the dance.

·
Registered
393 Posts
Whats wrong with cleaning up the stock? At least he didn't cut a couple of inches off it!
whats wrong with it is he took to it with sand paper,untouched,un-dicked with k98 stocks are very ,very hard to come by,much less ones original to a rifle his grandfather had taken from the clutchs of a german soldier

but i guess the bottom line is its his rifle now

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #27 ·
thank you all for your responses....

i have made my mind ,i think more positive now ,i now feel a lot better than those previous days..

the rifle is going to stay as it is...

and i WILL ENJOY IT!

[those 10 rounds i fired today were pretty amazing] I enjoy it.

THANK you all again

·
Registered
393 Posts
..strip it with a paint remover, wash it with hot soapy water, and when it is dry using a swab of Tandy's leather dye, for heavy application, which is great on wood, (avaible in light brown, medium brown, dark brown, and choclate,) and dye it BEFORE the oil rises to the surface again. The dye should sink into the wood, Then go over it ONCE with a coat of shellac that hopefully will soak into the wood and don't try and build up a outside finish, just to seal it, and that is about as close as to the original you will get. Don't sand or polish it after you wash it off. You can apply the shellac with an old t-shirt and rub it quickly with a dry peice of the same t-shirt to quick dry it and even it out if needed. It's not that hard, takes about 20-30 minutes and is cheap.
..and never never do that again!

thats by far the worse advice ive seen givin in a long time,,,,leave it alone,use Howards as previously mentioned,if you keep dicking with it eventually it will be totally screwed up,what sanding/damage that is done,is done,your only going to totally ruin it if you dye and shelac it

·
Banned
7,237 Posts
"Howard's Feed-N-Wax" is a great wood treatment.

·
Registered
347 Posts
My advice to you is to leave it alone and just enjoy the rifle. Remember, you're mad at yourself for messing with it in the first place. If you take another swing at the stock, (especially with something as permanent as stain) you might make it "look better" or you might wind up with a disaster that's unfixable. Leave well enough alone. Yes, you will always regret sanding the stock, but use your experience to educate someone else and save some other rifle from "fixing".

BTW, remember that at one point K98k's were cheap fodder for gunsmiths and bubbas everywhere. Though it's too bad that you sanded this one, but you obviously did it with care and skill. I've seen some hack jobs that would make you cry.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #37 ·
the metal had only dust and some dirt.. i ve cleaned it using alcohol again and again.

Its the flash on the first photo that makes that much of a difference...

Thank god i was too scared and didnt try to reblue it .....THANK GOD

sometimes knowledge isnt so good, its FAKE knowledge

·
Banned
7,237 Posts
Vaseline is used to gently clean original stocks and is wiped on and perhaps rubbed in with a tooth brush and then wiped off.
I prefer Howards because I've been taught to not use petroleum products on wood.
BTW,It WAS and option before you did the deed.

21 - 40 of 42 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.