Gunboards Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
518 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My goal was to own at least one Garand, Carbine, 1903, 1911, and AR15. With the first two marked off, my next purchase will be a 1911, which I know nothing about.

•how do I differentiate between WWII 1911's and other 1911's?
•what can I expect to pay for an average, shooter 1911?
• what are things to look for with 1911's?
• who made them?

I'd really like to get the essential info about 1911's before I make a purchase. I'm not looking for an "all correct, collector grade," just a shooter that won't break the bank.

M1/M3 Carbine: late '44 Inland
M1 Garand: late '44 Springfield

·
Platinum Bullet Member
48,368 Posts
or you can try several forums,
besides this one,
go to jouster.com
or
http://forums.1911forum.com/

the RIA's are good modern 'repo' for not much money

a good original will be 7-800 and up, you may find a decent mix master for a bit less, maybe,

how authentic do you want to be?

·
Registered
518 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
or you can try several forums,
besides this one,
go to jouster.com
or
http://forums.1911forum.com/

the RIA's are good modern 'repo' for not much money

a good original will be 7-800 and up, you may find a decent mix master for a bit less, maybe,

how authentic do you want to be?
I'm not looking for an all matching, hardly fired gun, just something that was born in WWII and is a decent shooter.

M1/M3 Carbine: late '44 Inland
M1 Garand: late '44 Springfield

·
Copper Bullet member
4,850 Posts
If you never shot one, and are not a 1911 fan or shooter, find a cheap non-descript USED 1911 and go beat the crap out of it until you learn it and learn to appreciate the little things that make some better than others.
There are plenty of them out there collecting dust on dealer shelves.
They may not even be heavily used as a lot of people drop big bucks on a new one and quickly decide, after a couple boxes of ammo, that it isn't their cup of tea! Often traded in without ever being broken in!
Still one of our favorite shooters was just such a 1911, a milspec Springfield that had maybe one box of ammo through it for $450. Bought to beat, and we did. It's kind of ugly now but still a great shooter that came out of the box with a sweeter trigger than a $2000 custom (as many experienced owners of expensive 1911s on the range have attested to).

Go to a range.Look for 1911 shooters. Bring your own ammo. Ask to try ... Most folks are glad to let you run a magazine or two through their gun. Find one that feels right in your hand.

·
Copper Bullet member
4,850 Posts
If you never shot one, and are not a 1911 fan or shooter, find a cheap non-descript USED 1911 and go beat the crap out of it until you learn it and learn to appreciate the little things that make some better than others.
There are plenty of them out there collecting dust on dealer shelves.
They may not even be heavily used as a lot of people drop big bucks on a new one and quickly decide, after a couple boxes of ammo, that it isn't their cup of tea! Often traded in without ever being broken in!
Still one of our favorite shooters was just such a 1911, a milspec Springfield that had maybe one box of ammo through it for $450. Bought to beat, and we did. It's kind of ugly now but still a great shooter that came out of the box with a sweeter trigger than a $2000 custom (as many experienced owners of expensive 1911s on the range have attested to).

Go to a range.Look for 1911 shooters. Bring your own ammo. Ask to try ... Most folks are glad to let you run a magazine or two through their gun. Find one that feels right in your hand.

·
Registered
244 Posts
I don't see an M14/M1A on your list.... :)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts