Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
570 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm taking a crash course on the identifying features of the prewar Polish wz.29 mauser. I am informed that the bolt release on the side of the receiver should have a button like this:

However my 'teacher' wasn't sure if this feature was present right from the start of production at F.B. Radom in 1930.

Do early or transitional Polish K29/WZ29 mausers lack this button? Apparently some wz.29s were made from left over Imperial German K98 parts; also in 1930 production was transferred from the Warsaw armoury to the F.B. Radom factory. Initial wz.29 production was carried out at the Warsaw armoury prior to 1930.

Thanks.

·
Registered
570 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
There is a 1930 Radom K29 for sale but it doesn't have the button on the bolt release. Am trying to find out if this bolt release is original to the K29 or is it a part from a K98. Some of the other parts of the K29 don't appear to be original to it.

Its quite possible though that an early K29 might be made with some Imperial German K98 parts. (WZ98 29 - not sure if this is the right designation)

·
Administrator
10,117 Posts
THis is a manufacturing variation.
The original G98 Bolt release is machined from solid spring steel, the blade and the dove-tailed locating boss being one piece, and then heat treated.

It was found by the Poles ( and the Chinese) that it was easier to make the blade as a separate entity from the dovetailed boss, and its inbuilt Ejector spring, and then rivet the two together.
That would account for the variations in fitting of the Bolt stop of two different designs to Polish rilfes ( Early assembled rifles ( say 1919-1928) used accumulated German made parts, and later rifles ( 1929-1939) used new made, "fabricated" Bolt stops. And then of course, the usual "Armourer Field mix" will also affect the use of the Bolt stop.

THis is a question best answered by somebody on the Polish-language Militaria Board, which has excellent info on all Post-1919 Polish issued and made SA.

Regards,
DocAV
AV Ballistics.

·
Registered
570 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks Doc - do you have the link? I don't speak Polish but my friend does.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.