Gunboards Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
251 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a G43 stock that someone cut off the butt end of it so that you cant install the butt plate onto it anymore. I am thinking of using a K98 piece of butt stock and join it together so that I can get the contour and length back to restore to original specs. I am thinking that I have to go in 3 or 4 inches from the donor piece and then join them together with the G43 stock. What do you recommend that I use for adhesive and also do I have to drill out holes and put dowel rods in the back between pieces top and bottom of the piece to make a more solid repair? I am looking for tips, advice and suggestions. Thanks!
1.jpg 2.jpg s-l1600 (1).jpg

·
Registered
440 Posts
I would not go in 3-4 inches. I would just add back the piece that was cut off, which would be under the cap. Some dowel there wouldn't hurt. Just that piece put on with some good epoxy like Acraglass or Devcon and it is not going to come apart. Probably stronger than the rest of the stock.

I am Bubba.

Attachments

·
Registered
251 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I would not go in 3-4 inches. I would just add back the piece that was cut off, which would be under the cap. Some dowel there wouldn't hurt. Just that piece put on with some good epoxy like Acraglass or Devcon and it is not going to come apart. Probably stronger than the rest of the stock.

I am Bubba.
I cant add just the back piece unfortunately. They sanded the stock down for the other butt plate pad that they had and the stock is undersized at the bottom. I need some space to blend a piece in to make it uniform for the original buttplate.

·
Registered
440 Posts
Well, if that's the route you want to go, then still some good epoxy and maybe some dowels, wood or metal, will give a joint as strong or stronger than the rest of the stock. Regardless, the impulse is going to compress the joint and you're not planning on bashing skulls in with the butt. Or just get another stock.

·
Registered
251 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Well, if that's the route you want to go, then still some good epoxy and maybe some dowels, wood or metal, will give a joint as strong or stronger than the rest of the stock. Regardless, the impulse is going to compress the joint and you're not planning on bashing skulls in with the butt. Or just get another stock.
Thanks for the replies. I really wish I could just put the end piece on. I will try to put on as small of a splice as I can so it will be stronger. Whoever sanded the stock really made it hard to be able to blend without adding more material from another stock. G43 stocks (original ones) are super hard to come by. I want to save this one as well as I can since it is an original but sanded. Like you said as long as I use good epoxy and use dowels to strengthen it, I should be good for a shooter. Here is a photo I found online of a similar repair.
s-l1600.jpg

·
Registered
3,274 Posts
One super strong way to bond the extension wood on is to use a good epoxy and put two or three wood screws through the new piece and into the original stock.

The screws will pull the added on piece very tightly in place and once the epoxy cures it ain't gonna come loose.
Drill smaller diameter guide holes for the screws to prevent splitting.

·
Registered
251 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
One super strong way to bond the extension wood on is to use a good epoxy and put two or three wood screws through the new piece and into the original stock.

The screws will pull the added on piece very tightly in place and once the epoxy cures it ain't gonna come loose.
Drill smaller diameter guide holes for the screws to prevent splitting.
Just an update to where I am now. I used 6 inch lag screws and pulled both pieces together and shaped the butt end. I have acraglas on order and once I get it I will separate the pieces and pull it back together with the screws and let it cure. I matched the wood grain up fairly well. This will be a nice usable stock again once it is cured.
IMG_20200820_151131868.jpg

·
Registered
4,362 Posts
Well with the 6" lag screws and some acra glass gel that added on that piece isn't going anywhere. Did a pretty good job matching the grain and saved the stock. Frank

·
Registered
251 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I figured I would give an update on the G43 project.

I have everything back together. I am going to try and blend the stock coloring a bit better as there are a couple of areas that the oil didnt take as well. Its not horrible but it sticks out to me. This will never be a collector piece obviously but making it come back to life was the goal.

This project started off with me looking for a barrel to complete another build that I have going. The barreled receiver had a half inch chopped off of the barrel, the rear sight ears were sheared off, the gas block was plugged and drilled on the bottom of the barrel for some reason. The bore was in great shape and the receiver was in good shape besides the rear sight. I had the whole bolt group ready to drop in it so I had the parts to build it.

I found the stock on ebay that someone shortened the butt end and had an aftermarket butt plate on it. They contoured the rear of the stock so just adding the rear piece to hold the butt plate was not going to work. I had to cut more into the original stock so I could blend and join a piece of butt stock from a K98. My first attempt I was not happy with so I tried again with another piece of K98 butt stock. I used 2 sporter stocks that had the fore end chopped. I did not want to use a complete k98 stock and ruin a good piece that someone could use even though I found cheaper ones than the sporter stocks. I drilled pilot holes for 2 6 inch lag screws and fitted the rear piece. I then put Acraglas between the two pieces then tightened the lag screws for an almost indestructible joint. I think the wood grain matched up fairly well considering that it was quite coincidental. Once everything cured, I added some stain oil to try and blend the pieces. I am not 100% happy with the blend and may try to tweak it some more but it isnt too terrible. I have an original handguard for it but it is cracked down the middle. I have one of those "fakelite" handguards on it right now to shoot with it.

The work on the barreled receiver was done by Apfeltor. He did a great job rebuilding the rear sight ears and also machining the front of the barrel to fit the front sight base properly. He filled in the bottom hole on the gas block and re-drilled the top for the proper gas block. A shooters kit was installed and she runs beautifully.

Like I said, she will never be a collectors piece but she is a great shooter. She cycles well and all parts have been gone over and inspected. I love to shoot these G/K43's. If you go over everything and maintain them, they are fun rifles to shoot. This is my first scope rail delete rifle.

Anyway, enough of my rambling, here are some photos of the complete process.
A.jpg B.jpg C - Copy.jpg F.jpg G.jpg H.JPG I.JPG J.JPG

·
Registered
440 Posts
Good job. I like making stuff out of piles of "almost scrap," which is kinda where you started. I think that's a great save.

·
Registered
251 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Good job. I like making stuff out of piles of "almost scrap," which is kinda where you started. I think that's a great save.
Thanks. I wasnt sure how it was going to turn out as I never really did any stock repair like that before. Now I wont hesitate if I find a similar stock in the future. I like projects like these. If I can bring something from the brink of death and make it functionable again, I am happy.

·
Registered
2,454 Posts
you have done a very good job with this rescue; congrats. now you have a fun shooting 'collector type' piece.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts