Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,573 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This one's a real doozy, because it's all metal matching with nice finish and a mint bore, but bubba chopped up the stock. Non-import marked. Unfortunately I won't have it in hand until December (overseas currently). Will make a fun resto project, already have the NEW bands in the collection and a walnut handguard, just need a stock. You all will kill me if you figured out what I paid.

·
Diamond Bullet Member
9,096 Posts
Those are the correct Springfield Arsenal acceptance marks, so you are right, that one formally entered the US Army arsenals. It was one of the left-overs that the Bolsheviks wouldn't, or couldn't, pay for after the Revolution, so the US Army bought them.

·
Registered
1,573 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Those are the correct Springfield Arsenal acceptance marks, so you are right, that one formally entered the US Army arsenals. It was one of the left-overs that the Bolsheviks wouldn't, or couldn't, pay for after the Revolution, so the US Army bought them.
Absolutely, it's my second. They are highly regarded in USGI collector's circles and folks pay dearly for them. One of these days I'll find a stock for it, but it will take patience. I have the hard part already... the handguard.

·
Diamond Bullet Member
9,096 Posts
I have two of these Springfield stamped NEWs, one in the correct stock and one in a sadly beautiful but sanded and refinished Izhevsk stock - looks good over the fireplace.
That funny looking stamp is actually an eagle of sorts, with a variety of inspector's numbers as apparently everybody got in on the approval process.

Absolutely, it's my second. They are highly regarded in USGI collector's circles and folks pay dearly for them. One of these days I'll find a stock for it, but it will take patience. I have the hard part already... the handguard.

·
Registered
1,922 Posts
Does a time where Academy didn't exist where you could buy sporting hunting rifles for cheap? I believe so... Sorry the rifle was sporterized but I do t think Bubba did this one. No body gave a crap when they weren't worth crap...

1 - 10 of 10 Posts