Gunboards Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Super Moderator
105,691 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What is RGuns going to do with the crates that they received the PUs in? Will they throw them away or do people have dibs on them? I'd like one if I could get my grubby paws on one.

·
Administrator
19,249 Posts
Drop a "C" note and a "Jackson" and you can have one. They are 5 feet long and 2.5 feet wide and weigh about 70.0 lbs. Big time UPS charge my freind-I asked to take mine home in via freight ship. Skipped that idea pretty quickly. Unless you drive over there I'd skip it. I'm still sore from picking those bad boys up with 10 guns in them..

·
Registered
10,418 Posts
They throw 'em away. They used to burn them but the smoke caused people to call the fire department.
For reasons Vic mentioned they wont ship them but if drive down there they'll probably let you take as many as you want.
I got a couple M44 crates back in spring, one makes a cool toy box in my sons room, I use the other for the same thing...but better toys!

·
Banned
737 Posts
Around here, both AIM and SOG have piles of crates sitting out front free for the taking. Most get picked up for firewood, others get reworked into dog and bird houses.

·
Platinum Bullet Member
1,527 Posts
I picked up a couple M44 crates from our local shop last year. They charged me $10 or $20 (dont remember) a piece for something they were about to throw away because they are greedy $0&'s. Regardless; I used these during our recent two moves to pack up M1 Carbines, mosin carbines and a couple itallian carbines. The boxes worked awesome, not a ding. Now that we are moved into what I hope will be our final home ever I am going to turn one of the crates into a coffee table for the gun room. Will probaby store bayonets in it and put some legs under it. Not sure what I am going to do with the other but these are great boxes! I would love to get a 91/30 length one.

·
Registered
313 Posts
What is RGuns going to do with the crates that they received the PUs in? Will they throw them away or do people have dibs on them? I'd like one if I could get my grubby paws on one.
Too bad I did not know you a couple of years ago,as I had 2 at the store I worked at.BTW Vic took one if I remember correctly. $50.00:eek:Not $120.00:eek::eek::D

·
Silver Bullet member
1,030 Posts
Shipping will kill ya!

I want one to keep our American Legion Post's M-1903-A3 "parade rifles" in, but found that even the "Free" ones cost around $150 to ship, which most of them apparently are just not worth.

I hope to build one over the Winter.

Does anyone know where I can get plans / specs for the original Springfield crates?

A 91/30 crate would work fine too, I would think - but at those shipping prices I'll just make one.

·
Registered
2,628 Posts
I have never understood why people just don't build their own rifle crate. I mean if you live in a town near a dealer or importer then I can see picking up some original crates. But I know of some guys who have paid to have a original crate shipped to them and for the shipping cost they could have built 2 crates.

·
Moderator / Silver Bullet member
2,324 Posts
I have never understood why people just don't build their own rifle crate. I mean if you live in a town near a dealer or importer then I can see picking up some original crates. But I know of some guys who have paid to have a original crate shipped to them and for the shipping cost they could have built 2 crates.
Original crates are just way cooler.

·
Registered
313 Posts

Because BUCKEYES don't know how to build anything;):D

·
Silver Bullet Member
1,872 Posts
I made one not to long ago for my 91/30s. It wasn't really that hard and I have no woodworking experience.
I would like to build at least two crates for myself. I am thinking that crates that would accommodate an M91/30 would work perfectly. Would you happen to have plans for the crates you built that you would be willing to share?

Tim

·
Silver Bullet member
1,030 Posts
Winter Project

I have plans all drawn up, and it might be one of my Winter projects.

Right now I'm butchering wood and generating sawdust out in the garage making a rocking horse for our Granddaughter's Christmas present. We're going to try to have a "China Free" Christmas this year.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts