Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,354 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I have a little project (no, has nothing to do with the election):), and I was wondering if there were ever any bunkers that were made of wood planks and wood beams? Particular to Japanese, but would like to see pics of the interior from any country WWI - WWII era.

·
Registered
949 Posts
How about coconut logs, covered with coral rock? The Japanese used coconut log pillbox fortifications extensively in the Pacific and I have tons of info on that type of pillbox but not wood plank construction. The Japanese tended to use a materials for fortifications that was easy to find, ie. coconut logs/coral. They did use concrete for most major emplacements and fortified them with cement or coral rock filled oil drums.

-Eric

·
Registered
949 Posts
The Japanese had a few "German style", concrete blockhouses that had wood planks installed inside, supposedly to absorb some of the force of an explosion or insulate the interior. One still exists on Peleliu.

-Eric

·
Registered
1,354 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
How about coconut logs, covered with coral rock? The Japanese used coconut log pillbox fortifications extensively in the Pacific and I have tons of info on that type of pillbox but not wood plank construction. The Japanese tended to use a materials for fortifications that was easy to find, ie. coconut logs/coral. They did use concrete for most major emplacements and fortified them with cement or coral rock filled oil drums.

-Eric
Any pics?

·
Registered
123 Posts
You might want to check books on the Aleutian island campaign. A complete lack of the normal building materials previously mentioned resulted in wood planks and beams being used. "The Forgotten War" has several pictures of the inside of troop quarters, artillery emplacements and other emplacements. Also looks like packing crates were taken apart and used, judging by the size of the boards. Good luck, Jim

·
Gold Bullet member
3,255 Posts
I think Osprey had a book on Japanese bunkers and trenches. If not, I'm sure Eric has stumbled on or fallen into quite a few of them.

·
Registered
1,354 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Many pics...all archival since coconut logs deteriorate over the years and no pilloxes are intact today because of that fact. Have many, what exactly are you looking for? Will post pics but need a starting point.

-Eric
Well, honestly, there would be no way I could recreate something like that. I was just curious as to what the exterior and interior would look like. So any at all would be appreciated.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts