Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
4,693 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
At least on the federal level maybe?

6th court of appeals ruled on it today.

Mind you..some states made their own rules.. Presuming those will stand... Who knows.. ??

·
Platinum Bullet member
3,448 Posts
Florida was one state that banned them.
I suspect others will also if there is no federal ban.
I miss mine. It was fun and I live in a no machine-gun state.
Mag dumps would be expensive now.
Gary

·
Registered
160 Posts
Wonder if state bans might be over turned..or if that's a done deal...

Of course..no one is making them anymore..so I doubt they come back...
The problem comes when you look at states rights. You’d have to file an internal lawsuit within the state and get it to the point where the courts will rule it is unconstitutional. Which is very unlikely in many states.

·
Registered
265 Posts
Never had any desire to own a bump stock, so dont care one iota whether they come back or not. I wont ever buy one.
I have the same feelings on them, but the fact that executive action was used to “ban” them should make one care as they can do the same with any of our 2A items. Despite the same feelings I share with about bump stocks they essentially made thousands of law abiding citizens felons with the flick of the pen because they thought that would solve a problem and if it went uncontested and unchecked who is to say they wouldn’t do the same with braces, red dots, flash lights, lasers or even simple scopes we use for hunting as they might be considered a “sniper”

·
Registered
915 Posts
The new decision is actually much more important for all of us than merely being about bump stocks. That case only means that in the four states of the Sixth Circuit (Kentucky, Michigan, Ohio and Tennessee), bump stocks will not be outlawed by the ATF Final Rule. The states themselves may enact laws banning them, and of course the US Congress could do so. The case is much more important however because the Court of Appeals has taken sides in a split of authority between the judicial circuits nationally on the question of whether ATF's views on what is or is not a banned machine gun matters at all. The Sixth Circuit has now explicitly joined the Ninth and Fifth Circuits, all of which hold that an agency such as ATF has no business interpreting the criminal laws it is charged with enforcing, and thus ATF's views on the scope of laws passed by Congress are irrelevant and will be ignored. Only Congress can pass federal criminal laws and only the federal courts can interpret them, in this view of our government's organization and separation of powers. The executive branch, of which ATF is a part, has only one job when it comes to criminal laws: enforcement. Otherwise, the same administrative agency is responsible for both interpreting the law and enforcing it, and as the bump stock case makes perfectly clear, the agency changes it mind more often than the wind changes direction, and this poses a grave threat to our liberty. The Tenth and D.C. Circuits hold the opposite, that is, that the agency's view on what constitutes criminal conduct is entitled to "Chevron deference;" these courts have no problem with making unelected bureaucratic ATF both the interpreter and enforcer of criminal laws. The other circuit courts have not yet squarely taken sides. Only the Supreme Court can resolve the split of authority.
As a practical matter, ATF letters saying what is legal and what is illegal are nearly worthless in federal courts in Kentucky, Michigan, Ohio, Tennessee, Alaska, Arizona, California, Guam, Hawaii, Louisiana, Mississippi, and Texas.

·
Registered
426 Posts
Never had any desire to own a bump stock, so dont care one iota whether they come back or not. I wont ever buy one.
I never saw the want for one either but I`m old school never saw the need for braces or all the other crap like flashlights and gadgets hanging off my guns. Just get your sbr license and be done with it if you want a short barrel rifle.

·
Registered
4,041 Posts
Anti pressure is bad enough without tossing the bump stock log on the fire. I can imagine the links to video with the next Feinsten or whomever ban on all semi auto rifles. All with a demo of what any semi auto rifle can 'legally' do. All for what? Childish!

Another effect could be a bump-stock bill with all the insidous hidden clauses. And an idiotic attachment like that (the stocks not the bill) will put a lot of pressure on the democrats in republican clothing. Like a so-called stimulus bill with all the hidden bailout provisions.

·
Gold Bullet Member and Noted Curmudgeon
100,673 Posts
Wonder if state bans might be over turned..or if that's a done deal...

Of course..no one is making them anymore..so I doubt they come back...
Yes, state bans MIGHT be over-turned, we'll just have to watch and see. I think if we get a clear ruling indicating they are OK, manufacture will return.

·
Diamond with Oak Clusters Bullet Member
74,962 Posts
accuracy would depend on the caliber and is relative. Is a bump stock ar15 more accurate than a FA M14 probably. Then is comes down to the shooter and shooting ability. lol no one who has one is using them anymore anyway with .80 a round 5.56.
A good point.

·
Registered
494 Posts
I never saw the want for one either but I`m old school never saw the need for braces or all the other crap like flashlights and gadgets hanging off my guns. Just get your sbr license and be done with it if you want a short barrel rifle.
This is the problem, and exactly what trapshooters say about AR15's, which is why we're in the predicament we are in.. I'm not a fan of smoky emissions emitting, range cluttering, black powder rifles, but I'll be damned if I'd ever let that stuff be banned and I'd stick up for those guys even though it may not be reciprocal.
If you live in AZ and half of mexico is running though your back yard every night, you might re-think the flashlight or night vision device on a gun?
I'm old school as well, but don't begrudge the guy next to me with all the gadgets.....until I get a chance to look at his target, then I might get judgy? And make some recommendations, like maybe you need a 4 cell maglite on your gun instead of the little one..... since the whole gun thing is not going that well?

·
Registered
219 Posts
I've got no desire for a bumpstock either but as many have said it's a matter of principle. I don't hunt but I don't want .30-06 banned. I can't afford a .50 BMG rifle but I don't think that should be banned. It has nothing to do with what it actually is and everything to do with overbearing government dregs deciding what we can and cannot do with out time and money. They're supposed to uphold and defend the constitution and yet they seem to try and tear it down at every turn.

1 - 20 of 45 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.