Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm one step closer to making up my own ammo for a recently acquired MH MkIV. Today, I slugged the bore and came up with 0.466" max & 0.454" min. So, what bullet size would be recommended (both unpatched and patched)?
Thnx,
- New2Enfields

·
Registered
144 Posts
You want a diameter of .469. The Martini Henry bore starts out larger and squeezes the bullet by the time it reaches the muzzle. For a patched you can use a .458 bullet and .003 parchment paper. Use a .469 bullet with grease grooves for non patched.

·
Sponsor
953 Posts
Either of the these bullets will work just fine. The grease groove (#47-475XR) is .470" diameter & 475gns weight, the paper patch (#45-505XR) is .458" diameter & 505gns.

·
Sponsor
953 Posts
Sounds about right, though you don't need to use pure lead & a little extra tin will help it cast easier & at a lower temperature. The original military paper patched bullets were quite hard, something like 1:8 mix.

·
Sponsor
953 Posts
That's were the USPS Flat Rate boxes come in handy. Whatever will fit in the box ships for a fixed price regardless of weight (within the USA). I've bought quite a bit of lead this way over the years.....not much fun for the letter carrier though!

·
Registered
3,142 Posts
700lb wont last all that long shooting a Martini.I use lead sheet peeled from plywood,each sheet weighs 48kg,about 110lb,and lasts about six months.500gr bullets go about 15 per lb,so youve got 10,000shots there.All gone in three or four years shooting.Regards John.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I'm beginning to realize why I've never seen a MH at the range...there's a little work involved in preparing the cartridges. Just finished paper patching my first 25 MH bullets and now waiting on my brass from X-Ring. The setup wasn't difficult but did take a little time. I should have the technique down after my next 25. I used tracing paper along with a 0.459" dia 480 grain swaged bullet with a cup base. Afterward, they mic'd out to 0.468"-0.469".

View attachment 2153162

-New2Enfields

Attachments

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.