Gunboards Forums banner

Bullet prices on 303 and 8mm up?

2K views 11 replies 7 participants last post by  jpattersonnh 
#1 ·
I have not bought 303 150 & 174 grain bullets and 8mm 150 grain and up for a while. I seems just two years ago either would have cost $22-27/100 from Remington and Hornady. Now it seems these prices are running $30-37 dollars per hundred even though other some other components and 22 rimfire have come down.

The price of Copper is actually down ($ 3.10) and we get just about 0.05% percent interest in savings.
How can these prices rise this high? Where are the increases occurring. The manufacturers, their raw material costs? I find this is true even of Prvi Partizan. Who is cleaning up financially in this market?
I have seen this occuring in other markets where costs should not be rising.

I don't buy components much any more because its getting more expensive to reload than to buy ready made ammunition. Are the shortages artificial to keep price margins high or is this to eliminate reloading as a hobby?

#2 ·
A few things to remember.,...Remington would have bought its Copper some time ago ( actually "Manufacturing Bronze", 90/10 alloy) when the cost of Copper was Higher ( and the same for Zinc); also, since Virgin Lead Smelting has ceased in the USA, Remington would have to get its Lead-Antimony alloy for Bullet cores either from US re-melters of scrap (at a higher cost) or from overseas. Again, the time lag between Raw Material acquisition and finished product will account for the Higher Prices ( Accounting: Whole-Sale Price equals Raw Materials Cost Recovery Plus Overheads Plus Profit Margin). Add to that set-up the Higher costs associated with Obama-induced shortages ( including Ghanistan etc) and you have a rise in Retail prices as a result. And it's NOT going to get any better.

Here in Australia, empty Brass Cases from the USA will be another year to two years in Coming (.303, etc) and quantities of Loaded ammo are still available, but greatly reduced. European supplies are almost as bad, although I am supplanting my usual US suppliers with some Euro factories. Again, Quantities are restricted. And costs higher.

"Market Forces"

Solution: Reload, Reload & reload...esp. Berdan Steel Cases where Possible.

Doc AV
Down Under, in the worst Brass Drought since WW II.

#4 ·
And it's NOT going to get any better.
+1

Yep... yet we have folks trying to convince us that the ammo shortage is over, just because they were to able to find 3 boxes of .22LR at Walmart after standing line at 6AM...

#3 ·
I'm a newer reloader, have reloaded some rounds but just a few straight walled types and not alot, strangely, and I have some strange ideas of using berdan cases IF I CAN HERE IN THE US, well, I wanted to get into reloading real serious for a few rifle styles(8mm, 30-06, .303, 7.62x54r)just weeks before the sandy hook tragedy and most of my component and supply orders were cancelled by one particular company to go nameless, but I have reloading dies for .303 and strangely lots of surplus. And I do need to get 7, 92 (8mm mauser) dies, and I'd like to use military cases maybe sometimes, its got so crazy I can't say I can go online and start pointing out this that and another what I want in cases, bullets, etc. Oh, I've read all about using berdan primered cases, I've seen the things for sale, I think I'll put a little time in figureing it out for sure while the getting is good. I read somewhere during the numerous ammo panics that folks have actually reloaded russian steel cases for either 5.56 or 7.62x39, or both. I told this to someone who says its hard on reloading dies, I mean, and water is wet, but some folks made money on reloaded ammo or had some ammo to even shoot, and locally for instance a person can buy .223 small base die rcbs dies for under $40.

I noticed some prices for projectiles as well, seems there were alot of under $30 projectiles, a few I wanted and were out of stock from one of the well know suppliers here in the us, a non sponsor to go nameless. I didn't check for brass or dies, errrr, and a few other things, checked several months ago and I didn't like what I saw. Hopefull Obama and friends won't start another Molly Hatchet crusade bustin up liquor joints, errrrr, I mean butsin up gun ownership in the next two weeks.

#7 ·
I really paid years ago to buy from Midways Blemished bullet sale. I'm actually selling some 7mm 140 and 150gr to a member here that I've known from other forums for years. I've got more loaded ammo and component then I will ever shoot in this lifetime. I've sold quite a bit of ammo to friends. At one point I could shoot 1 round every day for the next 68 years. Now I'm down to 29 years on loaded ammo and another 8 on components. I've still got 1700+ rounds of 8x57 surplus. I love the 1949 Turk HB. Good stout load. Shoots very well out of my 1945 Brunn low turret and 24/47. I keep handloads for my hunter, a 1955 Husqvarna built on a 1947 FN receiver w/ short side rail mount. 150's are ok, 175 Sierra hunters are VG, 160 and 180gr Barnes are VG, 200gr are when it separates itself from the norm.

#8 ·
#10 ·
True! What are the alternatives-- if you stockpile three years ago, you should have no problem at 99 spam. Best I have seen is 50 cents each, IF you find them at your local shows.

#12 ·
Holy Sh!t that is getting expensive. I just pulled a receipt from 2 years ago. J&G. 1cs Romanian 8x57 on chargers, $170.00, $17.00 shipping. It sits in my basement with a partial case of Turk. I was at an estate sale a few years ago, lots of ammo. This came up and not one person knew what it was. I saw 7.9 and Ankara, it was sold. 2, 1600 round cases Turk HB for 220.00. I called a friend before I bought it and asked if he wanted the second case....Sold. It is in 2 huge tin cans per case. All on chargers in bandoliers. Case is about 18" high, 18" wide, 24" long. You could bust a nut lifting them.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.