Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

I inherited a Winchester 1907 from an uncle. Before I got this rifle I knew nothing about reloading but to shoot it I needed to make my own rounds. So I sourced some reloading equipment and I made some rounds using cut down .223 brass, 10 grains of Unique, and 180 grain bullets from Grafs.

Its a fun rifle to shoot and I've ran through the rounds I made. I went back to Grafs and bullets are not available. I finally found 100 at Western Bullet and I bought the last 100 they had.

So in order to continue to shoot this rifle I am interested in getting a mold and trying to cast my own bullets. Any suggestions on what mold and where to find one?

Also interested in what other 1907 shooters are using. I've read some folks swedge down .357 bullets to .352.

Thanks in advance,
Ken

·
Registered
284 Posts
Lee did a custom run of a 180 grain RN for the .351, and I was lucky enough to pick up one on clearance from their website. I do size down a 173 grain RN .357 mold's bullets for lighter .351 loads and for 35 WSL loads. Lube first, then run them through a 352 die, and the lube grooves won't shrink down nearly as much. I've made brass from 357 Maximum cases, but the cutdown 223 cases are much easier to make.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Lee did a custom run of a 180 grain RN for the .351, and I was lucky enough to pick up one on clearance from their website. I do size down a 173 grain RN .357 mold's bullets for lighter .351 loads and for 35 WSL loads. Lube first, then run them through a 352 die, and the lube grooves won't shrink down nearly as much. I've made brass from 357 Maximum cases, but the cutdown 223 cases are much easier to make.
Thanks Charlie,

I'm holding out hope I can find something similar. All it take is a little patience. I looked for a long time and finally found a set of loading dies on the "used" shelf at a local gun shop. In the meantime I know Lee will make a .351 sizer thats affordable so I may build lighter loads like you are doing.

Casting bullets will be a new adventure but, then again, I didn't know the first thing about reloading before I inherited this rifle...

·
Gold Bullet member
1,830 Posts
The only numbers on the mold besides his logo is 351 172 A custom mold maker should be able to make one as NEI is no longer around.
Bullet mold makers: Custom Mold, Accurate Molds, Arsenal molds and Hoch Custom mold. I had Hoch make a special 32-40 nose
pour mold which was the correct size for my bore and did require sizing. The nose pour mold leaves a perfect flat base too.

·
Gold Bullet member
1,830 Posts
Bullet mold makers: Custom Mold, Accurate Molds, Arsenal molds and Hoch Custom mold. I had Hoch make a special 32-40 nose
pour mold which was the correct size for my bore and did require sizing. The nose pour mold leaves a perfect flat base too.
I wish to correct my above post, the Hoch mold was the correct size for the bore and did not require sizing. Rifle was a Winchester
Hi Wall with heavy weight Darr barrel

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.