Gunboards Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
683 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Since the last thread was wiped out in the change over (looks great BTW), I decided to start it again.

·
Registered
5 Posts
First post here on the new board so bear with me if it doesn't work.

The below pictures are of a Japanese Type 99 that I picked up at a gunshow. The damage is here and there which leads me to believe it is shrapnel damage. The wood also appears to be scorched around the hits so perhaps it was really hot shrapnel.

The first picture shows a pretty good dent behind the trigger guard and a ding in the floorplate. The second picture shows some of the sporadic wood damage. I can still see metal bits in some of the pits in the wood. The rear sight also took a minor hit, but I didn't include that picture because it doesn't show well.

LL

·
Registered
2,533 Posts
First post here on the new board so bear with me if it doesn't work.

The below pictures are of a Japanese Type 99 that I picked up at a gunshow. The damage is here and there which leads me to believe it is shrapnel damage. The wood also appears to be scorched around the hits so perhaps it was really hot shrapnel.

The first picture shows a pretty good dent behind the trigger guard and a ding in the floorplate. The second picture shows some of the sporadic wood damage. I can still see metal bits in some of the pits in the wood. The rear sight also took a minor hit, but I didn't include that picture because it doesn't show well.

LL
Hope that led to one dead Jap! (I can never forgive Dec 7, 1941.)

·
Registered
683 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The damage sounds like a frag grenade to me.

·
Super Moderator
3,372 Posts
Finn captured 1941 Izhevsk M38

·
Registered
683 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I wish I had a battle scarred weapon like that. They have a lot of history behind them.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Hi1

My scarred M16A1.

·
Diamond Bullet Member
2,273 Posts
Battle damaged Belgian Congo mauser

It is shrapnel I would guess not a bullet damage-piece is still lodged in stock by lower band.Friend of mine got if from a guy that was flying planes into there during the revolution,said it was laying on the tarmac at the Main airfield there.Bolt matches,stock does not.nice bore.Dont plan on shooting it or doing anything to the rifle

·
Moderator & Gaseous Substance Inspector
1,120 Posts
I have a bullet hole in my Maxims barrel shroud. It has been welded, but the damage is still obvious.

·
Registered
299 Posts
Im glad to see someone was as interested in this thread as I was glad it got started back up. Seems alot of stuff got lost in the sight reload but I do notice that it functions and runs alot faster looks alot neater also.

·
Registered
683 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
It is shrapnel I would guess not a bullet damage-piece is still lodged in stock by lower band.Friend of mine got if from a guy that was flying planes into there during the revolution,said it was laying on the tarmac at the Main airfield there.Bolt matches,stock does not.nice bore.Dont plan on shooting it or doing anything to the rifle
That's cool, it kind of looks like a bullet.

·
Registered
683 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Im glad to see someone was as interested in this thread as I was glad it got started back up. Seems alot of stuff got lost in the sight reload but I do notice that it functions and runs alot faster looks alot neater also.
It is cool seeing the guns and hearing about the damage. My favorites so far were the M44 that was shredded and the katana with the buckshot in the handle.

·
Sponsor
1,003 Posts
Here's my battle-damaged M-27 buttplate. Bullet could have come from either direction, I just put the bullet in the hole to show it was a perfect fit.

I'm glad to see this thread brought back as well.

Regards,
Eric

·
Registered
2,628 Posts
Eric, I hope that guy didn't have his rifle up to his shoulder when the round struck the butt plate.

·
Registered
1,463 Posts
Here's a couple of battledamaged items. The first is the front sight of a battledamaged T44 Vietnam bringback that I unfortunately sold years ago. It was capture documented to a USMC engineer officer, and I still have the sun helmet from the NVA who used to own the T44. It's the only lot of items I have ever broken up - I did it for a former friend who begged a lot. Stupid me.

The other is not a rifle but some battledamaged binos I recently acquired along with a lot of other items from a Vietnam vet. They were being worn at the time they were hit so...
I also have this feller's sun helmet.

Attachments

·
Registered
683 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Ouch, bet they felt those! That would've sucked to be holding those or the M27...

1 - 16 of 16 Posts