Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This question concerns a British lion revolver. I have studied the “Bulldog revolvers explained’ book in detail but cannot get this one to cycle. It can cock but will not click due to absence of a main spring , I made one as well as a hammer stirrup for the mainspring but still could not get it to cycle, but without plans it may be these are the wrong proportions.
There is nowhere for the main spring at its far end to lock in like a hole in the frame in the grip corresponding to a lock down bolt. There is a depression at the front end of the bottom of the birds head grip where the end of a main spring might have fitted in without a locking mechanism.
Few marks but it looks like Belgian made. The revolver has a hammer and the trigger spring, hammer spring and hand spring are intact and work. It is missing the main spring and I am also unsure whether it needs a rebound lever or not. Although the trigger has a transverse groove on its back side there does not appear to be a notch on the hammer for a sear . There is a second hole through the frame behind the lower trigger guard hole in the frame that looks like it may have retained a spring for a rebound or sear lever . There is also a third hole and pin in the frame by the grip that would usually be for the pin for the rebound lever. The hammer has a groove on its right hand side that looks like it may have a function that’s not obvious to me.

My questions are;
-does anyone have a schematic for the British Lion 5 shot 44 cal revolver, similar to the Bulldog
-any guidance on the rebound lever, or a shot of one I can use for a scale recreation of the part, assuming it is that and not a sear, if so a diagram of the sear
-any idea if this Lion had a sear as well as the main hammer/trigger mechanisms?
-the groove on the right side of the hammer must have had a purpose, any ideas?
  • any help on the shape of the mainspring, have made a couple of straight ones but they do not do the job, I can get double action to a point but it will not break over and release the hammer despite a good looking hammer notch and trigger notch
  • there are references to an S shaped spring in later bulldog models but several features show this was probably an earlier model with a flat mainspring however there are no attachments for a mainspring inside the frame of this pistol

Any help on this project much appreciated, with thanks

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
This question concerns a British lion revolver. I have studied the “Bulldog revolvers explained’ book in detail but cannot get this one to cycle. It can cock but will not click due to absence of a main spring , I made one as well as a hammer stirrup for the mainspring but still could not get it to cycle, but without plans it may be these are the wrong proportions.
There is nowhere for the main spring at its far end to lock in like a hole in the frame in the grip corresponding to a lock down bolt. There is a depression at the front end of the bottom of the birds head grip where the end of a main spring might have fitted in without a locking mechanism.
Few marks but it looks like Belgian made. The revolver has a hammer and the trigger spring, hammer spring and hand spring are intact and work. It is missing the main spring and I am also unsure whether it needs a rebound lever or not. Although the trigger has a transverse groove on its back side there does not appear to be a notch on the hammer for a sear . There is a second hole through the frame behind the lower trigger guard hole in the frame that looks like it may have retained a spring for a rebound or sear lever . There is also a third hole and pin in the frame by the grip that would usually be for the pin for the rebound lever. The hammer has a groove on its right hand side that looks like it may have a function that’s not obvious to me.

My questions are;
-does anyone have a schematic for the British Lion 5 shot 44 cal revolver, similar to the Bulldog
-any guidance on the rebound lever, or a shot of one I can use for a scale recreation of the part, assuming it is that and not a sear, if so a diagram of the sear
-any idea if this Lion had a sear as well as the main hammer/trigger mechanisms?
-the groove on the right side of the hammer must have had a purpose, any ideas?
  • any help on the shape of the mainspring, have made a couple of straight ones but they do not do the job, I can get double action to a point but it will not break over and release the hammer despite a good looking hammer notch and trigger notch
  • there are references to an S shaped spring in later bulldog models but several features show this was probably an earlier model with a flat mainspring however there are no attachments for a mainspring inside the frame of this pistol

Any help on this project much appreciated, with thanks
So I proceeded to reverse engineer the bulldog problem in the absence of feedback. It was clear there had once been a rebound lever and I determined the arc of the back side of the trigger and in particular the base of the position of the hammer at full cock and at rest. From this it was clear approximately the dimensions of the rebound lever and I cut and filed one out of brass using cut and try until the action could move through cock and click with the lever in place. I made a simple curve main spring and a stirrup and fitted them and the revolver will now cycle smoothly through single and double action. As there is no obvious place to attach the mainspring I made a tight fitting brass insert block with a slot that holds the mainspring at the bottom of the birds head grip inside and presses it against the rear side of the frame, this resulted in good hammer movement. see attached image
Any further thoughts on this project welcome.

Attachments

1 - 3 of 3 Posts