Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Was picking up a Taurus PT-145 at my FFL, and asked if he had any Maks. He pulled out an unissued cherry Bulgie with like new holster, two mags, and two grips( the original red star, and a reddish thumbrest grip, that I assume was put on for import points).

Have been into the Polish P-64s lately, but when he said $200 out the door, I emptied my wallet. Pistol is KP 37 XXXX, which I think is 1997 vintage, and has a faint Georgia VT? import mark in front of the slide release.

Did I do OK? Is this military/Police, or commercial?

Stan

·
Registered
658 Posts
I don't think that's a bad price OTD...seems to be about average anymore. Maks were falling out of trees 3-4 years ago and now they seem to have just about dried up. I happily paid $185 (+ tax and NICS check) for my hi-cap recently. Sounds like you got a nice one. We must see pictures!

·
Administrator
7,284 Posts
Hello Stan! Good to see you here.

Yes, from what I read on Makarov.com's FAQ section it looks like it's a 1997.

You did good. An unissued Bulgarian is probably worth $225 - $250, and the small import mark is a plus. It's a military pistol.

Unissued Bulgarians have a lot of cosmoline in my experience. I'm sure you're versed in the various methods of removing cosmoline - hot water, or non-chlorinated brake cleaner, or stronger stuff, etc. Shoot some cleaner into the extractor on the side of the slide. One thing to check before you fire the pistol is that the firing pin moves freely. Pull the safety, look at the orientation of the firing pin in the slide so you can put it back in the same way, and run a pipe cleaner and light oil in the firing pin channel. I think that channel is a good place to use one of the "dry" lubricants. I use Eezox, some use Militec or other products. After cleaning, people check that firing pin by shaking the slide to hear it rattle.

Great purhcase. Let us know how you do shooting it.

·
Registered
30 Posts
I believe you did good.
At the last gunshow even the beatup Maks were priced $225+.
I saw a very nice EG Mak for $300, I should have bought it.

·
Administrator
7,284 Posts
M2 I believe you're right. I haven't seen any condition Mak for less than $200 in my recent wanderings.

·
Registered
430 Posts
Stan, no doubt you did good. Especially one in that condition.

At my local gun show last weekend they had a fair conditioned IJ-70 for $250 if that tells you anything.

·
Registered
622 Posts
I concur. You did very well. The prices of Maks are going up steadily. I paid close to $300 for mine with a few extras. You got a great deal.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Spike, I'm one of the few these days without a cell phone or digital camera, so no pics on the way.

It is cherry, though, and even had the cleaning rod on the holster. Only one of the mags was matching numbers, though.

Stan

1 - 11 of 11 Posts