Platinum Bullet Member
560 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Finn Collector
Gunboards Moderator

USA
1517 Posts
Posted - 10/09/2003 : 12:12:13 AM
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hi,

I have had this rifle in my collection for some time along with a few others. This rifle has the Bulgarian Lion Crest. The condition is average and shows its age. Curious, what are these worth as I am looking to trade to a friend for something I need

Also forgot but I have a 8X50 mannlicher carbine with AOL on the stock. Any idea what this means?

Thanks all.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Edited by - Finn Collector on 10/09/2003 12:14:30 AM

Colin
Gunboards.Com Silver Star Member

USA
708 Posts
Posted - 10/09/2003 : 01:13:50 AM

If it has the Bulgarianb lion on the receiver and 'Steyr (date)' n the left receiver rail it is a Bulgarian contract from about 1903 to 1914. With no 'S' on the receiver or barrel. it is probably an original, un-messed-with Bulgarion 8X50R rifle. They aren't common.
The carbine with AOL on the stock is one the Italians picked up after WW I and issued to their colonial forces in Africa. These aren't common either.

Finn Collector
Gunboards Moderator

USA
1517 Posts
Posted - 10/09/2003 : 01:21:19 AM

Colin,

Thanks for the reply. It appears to me unmessed with and is dated 1903. The info you provided is quite useful.

Thanks,

FC

John Wall
Platinum Bullet Club

USA
2414 Posts
Posted - 10/09/2003 : 1:07:27 PM

Hi FC,
Might the "AOL" mark be "AOI" instead? I believe that "AOI" stands for Africana Orientale Italiana, (apologies for butchering the original Italian!)or Italian East Africa.
Best Regards,
John

Finn Collector
Gunboards Moderator

USA
1517 Posts
Posted - 10/09/2003 : 6:04:05 PM

you are correct. I was super tired when posting. But yes, it is AOI.

quote:
Originally posted by John Wall

Hi FC,
Might the "AOL" mark be "AOI" instead? I believe that "AOI" stands for Africana Orientale Italiana, (apologies for butchering the original Italian!)or Italian East Africa.
Best Regards,
John

1 - 1 of 1 Posts