560 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Author Topic
dg13
Gunboards.Com Silver Star Member

USA
822 Posts
Posted - 08/04/2007 : 6:02:51 PM
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Here is a Bulgarian Mannlicher M1886-90 from the Balkan Wars. I've been able to determine that this rifle is a part of a private third party purchase from Austria with a resale to Bulgaria (who was hurting for rifles at the time). As you can see the austrian acceptance marks are there as well as Bulgarian marks. The stock is original to the rifle in that it matches the original austrian serial number as well as the new Bulgarian marks. Quite a rare rifle.

dg13

Download Attachment:
48.83 KB

Download Attachment:
63.84 KB

Download Attachment:
88.09 KB

Download Attachment:
118.11 KB

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
"One Nation UNDER GOD"
"IN GOD WE TRUST"

Edited by - dg13 on 08/12/2007 12:19:41 PM

Nick

USA
1151 Posts
Posted - 08/04/2007 : 9:22:16 PM

Darrell,

Absolutely beautiful! I am jealous, I've been trying to locate one of these for many years with no luck!

"It's impossible to grasp the boundless" - Kozma Prutkov

dg13
Gunboards.Com Silver Star Member

USA
822 Posts
Posted - 08/05/2007 : 12:04:09 PM

Thank you for the compliment on my rifle. Do you know what the cyrilic character at the end of the Bulgarian number is? I have another but with no cyrilic character on the end. Is there any significance to it that you know?

Another question: Why did the Bulgarians use their own number around the reciever? Seens like a lot of trouble to me! I have a few Bulgarian rifles that never had stock numbers on them, but those that came from Austria were marked. When they were Austrian marked then the Bulgarian number was applied to the stock.

Where are you originally from in Bulgaria? Were any family members in WWI. My appologies and disregard the last question if it is too personal. I have a great interest in Bulgaria, Turkey and Austro-Hungary.

dg13

"One Nation UNDER GOD"
"IN GOD WE TRUST"

Nick

USA
1151 Posts
Posted - 08/05/2007 : 12:36:47 PM

The letter suffix is the Cyrillic "D". Why the double numbers (and different on top of that) I have no explanation.

Family members, participating in WWI - yes, many. My great-granddad Nikola, who also fought in the First and Second Balkan Wars, all with the artillery, my great uncle Dyanko (all these wars with the cavalry) and all their brothers whom I didn't personally know (some of them were killed in these wars).

"It's impossible to grasp the boundless" - Kozma Prutkov

1 - 1 of 1 Posts