553 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Author Topic
dg13
Gunboards.Com Silver Star Member

USA
822 Posts
Posted - 08/05/2007 : 3:16:08 PM
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

What to do today? Thought I'd take some pictures. Here is a Bulgarian M1888-90. Original blueing is intact. Unfortunately there is some pitting. The letter at the end of the serial # is P: meaning secondary materials for export. Note the Bulgarian lion on the barrel. Hope you like it. Sling is also Bulgarian.

Download Attachment:
40.27 KB

Download Attachment:
35.51 KB

Download Attachment:
29.95 KB

Download Attachment:
49.91 KB

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
"One Nation UNDER GOD"
"IN GOD WE TRUST"

Edited by - dg13 on 08/05/2007 3:17:24 PM

Nick

USA
1151 Posts
Posted - 08/05/2007 : 8:39:18 PM

quote:
Originally posted by dg13

...The letter at the end of the serial # is P: meaning secondary materials for export...

Interesting info! Do you mind quoting the source?

"It's impossible to grasp the boundless" - Kozma Prutkov

dg13

USA
822 Posts
Posted - 08/05/2007 : 9:22:05 PM

Sorry for the confusion. I meant that the ":" means for export. I correct myself--it does not mean secondary. The "P" is just part of the serial #. As to source, I would have to lean on my experiance in looking at Chilean 1886 and 1888 mannlichers which also have ":" on them. I've never seen that mark on an Austrian mannlicher.
dg13

"One Nation UNDER GOD"
"IN GOD WE TRUST"

dg13

USA
822 Posts
Posted - 08/05/2007 : 9:22:50 PM

Sorry for the confusion. I meant that the ":" means for export. I correct myself--it does not mean secondary. The "P" is just part of the serial #. As to source, I would have to lean on my experiance in looking at Chilean 1886 and 1888 mannlichers which also have ":" on them. I've never seen that mark on an Austrian mannlicher.
dg13

"One Nation UNDER GOD"
"IN GOD WE TRUST"

dg13

USA
822 Posts
Posted - 08/05/2007 : 9:23:20 PM

dg13

"One Nation UNDER GOD"
"IN GOD WE TRUST"

Prez1981

USA
871 Posts
Posted - 08/05/2007 : 9:38:13 PM

I have two 88/90's with the ":" marking after the serial number. The first is a N: Bulgarian 88/90 I recently received from Nick. THe other is an M: block 88/90 with no Bulgarian markings (or Chilean)-it also bears an St.90 marking on the chamber. Actually, the ":" marking is three vertical dots, not just two. My other 88/90, 86/90, and 90 have either no letter block or a normal letter. I'm guessing the rifles without a suffix are for the "ubersee" contracts, as most I have seen are above 30,000.
Nice rifles!!!

Nick

USA
1151 Posts
Posted - 08/05/2007 : 9:59:49 PM

More dots. Both rifles are Bulgarian-marked, G and W suffixes:

I personally think the dots are result of a hardness test, where a minimum of three probes are required. Nothing coded or with special meaning, just tests traces.

Nick

USA
1151 Posts
Posted - 08/05/2007 : 10:08:43 PM

@#$%^& triple posting and backward counting!!!

dg13

USA
822 Posts
Posted - 08/05/2007 : 10:10:00 PM

Very interesting--I've never seen three dotes together! just 2. You are never to old to learn something! Especially in this hobby!
dg13

"One Nation UNDER GOD"
"IN GOD WE TRUST"

MauserboyM48
Gunboards.Com Gold Star Member

USA
1251 Posts
Posted - 08/06/2007 : 12:45:05 AM

is it possible to get a better picture of the action and the bolt separate from the action?

www.ronpaul2008.com Join the Revolution. Ron Paul 2008.

"The main thing is to make history, not to write it."
-Otto Von Bismarck

"If you strike me down I shall become more powerful than you can possibly imagine."

Every collector needs:
A Mauser variation
A Mosin-Nagant
An Enfield
A K31
A M1
A M95

Nick

USA
1151 Posts
Posted - 08/06/2007 : 09:35:48 AM

quote:
Originally posted by MauserboyM48

is it possible to get a better picture of the action and the bolt separate from the action?

I took these some time ago as a comparison of M88 and Gew88. Top to bottom: Mannlicher M1886, Mannlicher M1888, Gewehr 1888.

Note the beveled bolt face of Mannlicher M1886:

1 - 2 of 2 Posts