Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Platinum Bullet member
5,027 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A local distributor had ONE case of this ammo left so I bought it. The Mauser platform is one of my favorites to fire so I go through a lot of ammo and I don't reload (yet).

I think based on the tin and box markings, that this is Bulgarian 8mm, produced in 1961. While I'm assuming this is corrosive, does anyone have any experience with this ammunition?

If so, what's your experience been with it for reliability and accuracy?

Thank in advance for any information.

·
Registered
2,458 Posts
Corrosive, yes. I have had very mixed results with the Bulgarian 8mm. Some has been surefire, and other lots were almost sure duds/hangfire. The Bul. 54r from the fifties mostly shot fine other than having leaky primers. The 8mm seems to be real hit and miss. Take it out and shoot say two or three boxes, and that will tell you if this is a good batch.

·
Platinum Bullet member
5,027 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
RANGE UPDATE - The rain and wind finally held off long enough for me to try out some of this ammo last Thursday after work.

I fired 3 15-round boxes, all rounds functioned except one FTF, with multiple printer strikes producing no ignition.

One annoying "feature" of this ammo is a frequent and noticeable "primer delay" - click... BOOM! It reminds me of firing .303 rifles or black powder guns. It occurs on approximately 70% of the rounds.

No split or deformed cases, just the annoying delay. It's usable but I probably wouldn't buy another case of it given the chance. If this consistency changes are I use more of the ammo, I'll post an update to my initial findings.

·
Registered
3,394 Posts
Not saying this will fix any hangfire issues, but order up a 20lb wolff Firing pin spring and install it in your Mauser. This has eliminated alot of issues I have had befor with the 50's Yugo ammo, and just might help a bit with the bulgy stuff.

·
Administrator
10,117 Posts
Early 50s Brass Bulgarian ammo has Very corrosive Primers. The corrosion attacks both the steel of the rifle and the brass case itself...But being Berdan, for you spendthrift US shhoters, that is not an issue fire it and junk it.
If you do reload Berdan, just wash the cases immediately after firing in water with washing soda...Sodium Carbonate ( old US Army regulation pre-1920s for .45 and .30 cases, to be used for training reloads andgallery ammo)
Washes all the corrosive salts that attack the brass...done on Bulgarian 8x56R, 7.62x54R successfully.( & Austrian 8x56R as well).
Doc AV
DOWN UNDER BERDANNER.

·
Registered
8,529 Posts
Not saying this will fix any hangfire issues, but order up a 20lb wolff Firing pin spring and install it in your Mauser. This has eliminated alot of issues I have had befor with the 50's Yugo ammo, and just might help a bit with the bulgy stuff.
Standard spring for 98 Mauser is 19lbs. Wolff has 22, 24, and 26lb rated springs. One of them should Should help. Some report that hangfire prone dies better in Summer temps.

·
Platinum Bullet member
5,027 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks all, I've got several new 20lb Wolff springs around here someplace, I'll try one of them. It's also been cold, the weather here has been INSANE for the past month or more. Last week we had pea-sized HAIL and lightning. Today it's 90 out, 91 forecast for tomorrow.

Friday's high is going to be 73. WHAT IS GOING ON???? Mother Nature hates me. :(

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.