Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Platinum Bullet member
5,027 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've never see this before, so I bought all 3 boxes of it when I found it at a local shop this past weekend. I know Bulgaria used a lot of imported weapons including an 8mm light machine gun from Czechoslovakia, but was surprised to see that they manufactured their own ammunition for this caliber.

I've always thought of Bulgaria as more of an "AK-47/74" customer and manufacturer for primary small arms.

EDIT - All headstamps are marked "10" at 12 o'clock and "64" at 6 o'clock.

·
Registered
333 Posts
Well there was a time before the 47/74 and the Mauser line and 8mm ammo was kind of the AK of its time in Europe it seemed everyone had a Mauser pattern bolt action and usually in 8mm. Producing ammo is just a simple matter of logistics. It is easier to get ammo from behind the lines to your forces than possible across the lines from somewhere else.

·
Platinum Bullet member
5,027 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Well there was a time before the 47/74 and the Mauser line and 8mm ammo was kind of the AK of its time in Europe it seemed everyone had a Mauser pattern bolt action and usually in 8mm. Producing ammo is just a simple matter of logistics. It is easier to get ammo from behind the lines to your forces than possible across the lines from somewhere else.
I agree with your line of thinking, but this ammo appears to have been produced in 1964, well after Bulgaria was firmly rooted in Communism. By that time the AK weapons systems would have been the primary small arms. Given the prevalence of Mausers in post-WWII Europe and elsewhere, it's possible that they were manufacturing 8mm ammunition primarily for export sales. All speculation of course, but that seems to be at least one plausible possibility.

·
Registered
333 Posts
I agree with your line of thinking, but this ammo appears to have been produced in 1964, well after Bulgaria was firmly rooted in Communism. By that time the AK weapons systems would have been the primary small arms. Given the prevalence of Mausers in post-WWII Europe and elsewhere, it's possible that they were manufacturing 8mm ammunition primarily for export sales. All speculation of course, but that seems to be at least one plausible possibility.
Oh I didn't see the headstamp part. Could possibly be that it worked in their machine guns and they didn't feel like replacing it or they did it specifically for export.

·
Registered
423 Posts
Pretty mild shooting stuff compared to the turkish and ecudorian ammo . I bought a few boxes because it was all they had years ago. Was very accurate out of my cz-24 was really enjoyable to shoot without beating you up but extremely dirty powder . aaron

·
Registered
8,529 Posts
If not used in Bulgaria, there was a good “export” market in Africa and the Middle East for that cartridge. Bulgaria mfg’d and sold 7.62x51 during the Cold War era without any need for that round domestically.

·
Platinum Bullet member
5,027 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Copper washed, steel cased, corrosive, and usually many duds or hang fires. This ammo was really bad in my experience. Looks great, but doesn't go off with any regularity.
No problem. I purchased it primarily for display since I've never seen it before. I prefer the Turkish 8mm that comes in those 70-round bandoleers, or surplus Romanian when I can get it. It seems like 8mm surplus ammo pricing has gone through the roof, just like the rifles that chamber it. I miss the days of 900-round boxed crates for $70.

·
Administrator
10,117 Posts
Typical Bulgarian Export Labelling...ie, NOT in Cyrillic!
Factory 10 ( Kazanlak) made 7,92 and 7,62x51
For any country with Forex ( ie, US$ or SFr) to pay for it.
A lot of FALs and G3s etc got ruined by the corrosive priming....but in the Mid East and Africa that is Par for the course...neglect and incompetence.

Doc AV

·
Administrator
10,117 Posts
These 7.9 MGs may have been there, but they were in "strategic store" like the ZB39 and the M95/30s etc in 8x56R...ie, not in use, and with plenty of WWII ammo stored as well.
And any ammo for these stored guns would have had Cyrillic markings, not western Roman script.

Definitely Export ammo.
Doc AV

·
Platinum Bullet member
5,027 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
These 7.9 MGs may have been there, but they were in "strategic store" like the ZB39 and the M95/30s etc in 8x56R...ie, not in use, and with plenty of WWII ammo stored as well.
And any ammo for these stored guns would have had Cyrillic markings, not western Roman script.

Definitely Export ammo.
Doc AV
Oddly enough, the fact that the boxes aren't in Cyrillic never even occurred to me. Thanks for pointing that out, DocAV! Another oddity for my ammo collection - Bulgarian export 8mm. It's interesting to see what trickles into the gun shops up here.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.