560 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Author Topic
Newfoundlander
Gunboards Premium Member

Canada
181 Posts
Posted - 12/03/2003 : 10:43:38 AM
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I acquired a matching 1915 dated Buda. carbine. While I'm curious about the unit markings I'm more interested in the pedigree of the attached sling. While similar in certain respects to the post-WWII and WWI "long rifle" slings I have never seen such a beast before and would appreciate any comments.

Newfoundlander
Gunboards Premium Member

Canada
181 Posts
Posted - 12/03/2003 : 10:47:58 AM
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Where the hell is my picture?!?!

Newfoundlander
Gunboards Premium Member

Canada
181 Posts
Posted - 12/03/2003 : 10:50:21 AM

One more try....

Download Attachment:
38.74 KB

Newfoundlander
Gunboards Premium Member

Canada
181 Posts
Posted - 12/03/2003 : 10:52:17 AM

Download Attachment:
34.45 KB

Newfoundlander
Gunboards Premium Member

Canada
181 Posts
Posted - 12/03/2003 : 10:56:34 AM

Download Attachment:
38.61 KB

TP
Moderator Military Mauser Forum

USA
2034 Posts
Posted - 12/03/2003 : 11:34:07 AM

quote:
Originally posted by Newfoundlander

Download Attachment:
38.61 KB

Glenn, you lucky dog! It appears to be a real A-H carbine sling. See below. Any pictures of it attached to the rifle and does it have the buckle? Some guys.....

Download Attachment:
110.97 KB

It's the one on the bottom and they are VERY hard to find. Congrats!

tomcat
Gunboards Premium Member

USA
100 Posts
Posted - 12/03/2003 : 1:45:13 PM

What you have is a 'stutzen', and what looks to be its original sling! All this and in 8x50r!!!!!, how lucky can you get........

Don
Looking for m95 long rifle parts, stock, & handgaurd.

Newfoundlander
Gunboards Premium Member

Canada
181 Posts
Posted - 12/03/2003 : 3:58:25 PM

Regretfully the buckle was not present when I acquired the piece. The absence of any markings on the sling is what really concerned me. As it now stands how likely is it that this sling was "refurbished" before it and the carbine crossed paths?

Thanks much!

ofd291
Gunboards Super Premium Member

USA
310 Posts
Posted - 12/03/2003 : 6:05:57 PM

sweeeeeeeeeet

TP

USA
2034 Posts
Posted - 12/03/2003 : 6:49:46 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Newfoundlander

Regretfully the buckle was not present when I acquired the piece. The absence of any markings on the sling is what really concerned me. As it now stands how likely is it that this sling was "refurbished" before it and the carbine crossed paths?

Thanks much!

Probably not refurbished along with the gun, it just happened to end up on this particular gun. As far as the buckle being missing, that is not too unusual. They are made of heavy wire and do not appear to be as strong as they could be so it probably broke and was thrown away. Also, the sling being unmarked is normal. Again, a good find.

John Wall
Platinum Bullet Club

USA
2414 Posts
Posted - 12/03/2003 : 7:06:52 PM

Hi Newfoundlander,
I am unable to make out the text of the unit mark. How does this mark read?
Regards,
John

Newfoundlander
Gunboards Premium Member

Canada
181 Posts
Posted - 12/04/2003 : 09:55:57 AM

Hi John!

The top row is:

63 and what is either a "P", "R", or an "F"

The second row is:

John Wall
Platinum Bullet Club

USA
2414 Posts
Posted - 12/04/2003 : 8:53:25 PM

Hi Newfoundlander,
From the limited information I have available, your unit mark is that of the Austro-Hungarian Army's 63rd Infantry Regiment, where it was inventoried as rifle number 292. According to the British Army publication "The Austro-Hungarian Forces in the Field, October 1918", the 63rd, late in the war, was a unit of three battalions composed of Romanian-speaking troops which had their depot and headquarters in the city of Besztercze. The 63rd, together with the 62nd Infantry Regiment (a Hungarian-Romanian unit), made up the 70th Brigade. The 70th and 69th Brigades (also composed of Romanian and Hungarian-speaking troops) comprised the 35th Division under Field Marshall (F.M.L.) Eugen von Podhoransky. Unfortunately, there are few histories of the A-H Army units available, so the combat record of the 63rd would be difficult to research.
Best Regards,
John

Edited by - John Wall on 12/05/2003 06:13:13 AM

TP

USA
2034 Posts
Posted - 12/05/2003 : 1:59:20 PM

John, if you have been in contact with Ralph, ask him about the 63rd, that is their unit. Small world isn't it?

John Wall
Platinum Bullet Club

USA
2414 Posts
Posted - 12/05/2003 : 2:11:50 PM

Hi T.P.,
Wow! It sure is! Yes, we have exchanged e-mails about A-H unit histories, and he has been very helpful. I will let him know about this carbine.
Best Regards,
John

1 - 1 of 1 Posts