Gunboards Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Silver Bullet member
291 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I picked up a Bubba'ed Mosin today, cut stock, sights removed, receiver D&T'ed. The receiver has me intrigued.It's an octagon receiver, and there are nearly no markings on it. There is no crest or serial #, the s/n is on the barrel. Barrel has an SY with a triangle on it. The triangle has a T in it. The receiver looks like it has an OK in a circle on the rear tang right behind the screw. There is an R on the underside of the receiver. It has 3 tapped holes on the left rail. I'll take some pics of it tomorrow in the daylight. So, what do I have?

·
Super Moderator
3,372 Posts
Finnish Tikka M28 Civil Guard rifle that Bubba got after.

·
Diamond Member
5,761 Posts
Watching both your avatars at the same time is, well, is interesting to say the least :eek: Denny

·
Moderator/Gold Bullet member
8,789 Posts
I think the Bubba who butchered your M28 also produced the person in your avatar...!

·
Gold Bullet Member
2,191 Posts
Between the Avatars and Bubba's work, I feel queasy.:(

·
Silver Bullet member
291 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Now For Pics!

Here's some pics I took of it. How common are the sights? I was thinking of putting it back together. Do the receiver holes look like they would take a standard M-N mount? If too costly to restore, I may make a shorter rifle out of it and use it for a truck gun.

The top rail of the cocking knob is broken off. It has 3 different s/n's on the barrel. It's also counterbored, but has good rifling.

·
Diamond Member
5,761 Posts
gunluvver, thanks for the pics. I haven't ever seen a cocking knob broken like that...wonder what happened or if it was done for clearance for the mount. I don't think the holes are for a standard mosin mount. I think you are correct about it being a truck gun. Denny

·
copper Bullet Member
11,534 Posts
shame. Who was that said "idle hands are the devils workshop" or something like that? Just another example of how low the value finnish arms was at one time.

·
Gold Bullet Member
2,191 Posts
It looks like a SXXXX marking on the right side of the receiver...oh the humanity. :(

·
Silver Bullet member
291 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Maybe I should do a pictorial on cutting down the barrel, camo'ing the stock, installing rails, lights, and an Aimpoint. We could show it as a slide show at junior high schools to keep kids from turning into Bubbas and help prevent destruction of the world's historical icons.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts