Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
253 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I go into my local pawn shop a little while ago to see what firearms they had. I see an SKS on the rack, with a 30rd plastic mag and bayonet missing, so I ask to see it. When he handed it to me I saw there was also a scope attached to the top cover. Upon further inspectin the stock crossbolt was missing too. Then I look at the gas tube on the left side and I see the serial number stamped there. The stock was beat up pretty bad and I figured out it was an esat Greman refurbished Russian, all for the low price will of $599! I just needed to vent a little after seeing it basically destroyed.

·
Registered
4,763 Posts
I saw something similar at my LGS. Russian, nice brownish yellow wood with a clear Tula star on on side of the stock and the square with a line refurb mark on the other. Of course the top handguard is black plastic, the mag is missing, in place of the bayonet is a cheezy bipod and the ever present scope rings on the top cover. It slightly cheaper at $499.

Here's a question for you all......Can someone explain to me why Americans feel the need to scope EVERYTHING. It doesnt matter that the product was never designed to work that way and will not improve with one. Im surprised that I haven't seen a scoped smooth bore musket

·
Silver Bullet member
36,680 Posts
I think it has to do with age. Since the black plastic fantastic fad has arrived, those of us that appreciate the real wood and steel rifles, are at the point that we need some help in the eye department.
That, plus "if you build it, they will come". Market was flooded with cheap SKS's 20 or so years ago (got my 1951 Tula for $100 OTD...) and that was soon followed by a rash of stocks, bipods, scopes and mounts (mostly cheap ChiCom junk), quad rails, you name it. Lots of folks just couldn't resist the urge to hang every tacti-cool accessory they could buy onto their SKS's. I briefly tried one of those El Cheepo scope/mount combos on mine, but I took it right off again. Aside from the fact that it was junk, the SKS just doesn't have the inherent accuracy that would warrant scoping. But some folks just have to have that Rambo/gee-whiz look no matter what.

SKS's were never meant to be scoped, they aren't tack drivers, they're the pragmatic Russians' answer to the StG-44.

$499 for a bubba'd SKS - blasphemous on many levels.

·
Registered
318 Posts
I hear ya!!! I stoped in a shop yesterday and they had a NHM90 in 223 for $440!! Oh man!! But it had virtually no finish left (looked like they actually took sand paper to it?), pitting on the top cover, the front sight was noticeably to the right (Made me wonder if they moved it or bent the barrel trying to get the can off). No wood instead it had the old plastic thumbhole stock that looks big and clumsy and I could not see any rifleing in the barrel (might be very dirty or shot out)? For some reason I keep thinking about it?

·
Administrator
61,240 Posts
Here's a question for you all......Can someone explain to me why Americans feel the need to scope EVERYTHING. It doesnt matter that the product was never designed to work that way and will not improve with one. Im surprised that I haven't seen a scoped smooth bore musket

Bad eyesight over here.

·
Silver Bullet member
36,680 Posts
I hear ya!!! I stoped in a shop yesterday and they had a NHM90 in 223 for $440!! Oh man!! But it had virtually no finish left (looked like they actually took sand paper to it?), pitting on the top cover, the front sight was noticeably to the right (Made me wonder if they moved it or bent the barrel trying to get the can off). No wood instead it had the old plastic thumbhole stock that looks big and clumsy and I could not see any rifleing in the barrel (might be very dirty or shot out)? For some reason I keep thinking about it?
One sold at some point recently on Guns America for $849.

·
Silver Bullet Member
498 Posts
I think it has to do with age. Since the black plastic fantastic fad has arrived, those of us that appreciate the real wood and steel rifles, are at the point that we need some help in the eye department.
Especially if I intend to see (much less hit with confidence) anything past 125-150m. I can do it if the target is standing still in the open with just my glasses, otherwise I really need glass to go with the glasses...:(

1 - 10 of 10 Posts