Gunboards Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4,362 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Went to a local show today. While looking at some rifles, there was an ishapore in 7x62x51 with the plastic stock and an either 16" or 18" long barrel. Dealer wanted $295 as it also came with an aluminum scope mount and scope on it. Guess someone had more money than brains. Asked what he'd take for it sans scope and mount and was told $250. I passed on that one. Whatever he's smoking I want some. Then another dealer had two #4MKI's. Wait this gets better. Rifle #1 has had the forend shortened and the wood badly refinished and missing the ejector screw. $195 for that one. The other rifle was #4MKI with beatup stock. Price $195 same as rifle #1. I did ask what he would take for the first one and was quoted a price of $170 plus tax. Said I'll think about it. And I did, for all of 5 seconds. and walked away. And the first rifle had some pitting about 5" back from the muzzle. The dealer had muttered something about the falklands that I didn't get. And still don't. Had been hoping to find a #4 with decent wood and a fubar barrel for a project. Is it because I'm kinda cheap when it comes to bubba's I don't know. I mean just because someone breaksdown a decent military rifle into a piece of junk, why the high prices?. Maybe I'm missing something here. So if you have a clue let me know. Then there was the webly in 38S&W for $195 double action only. Bore was in great shape and the double action pull wasn't all that bad. It was then I noticed the missing hammer mounted firing pin. Guess I'm going to have a bigger and stronger cup of coffee before going to these shows. Frank

·
Moderator/Gold Bullet member
8,789 Posts
I feel your pain, brother...

I once found a '37 Tula Mosin Nagant with the tell-tale Spanish Civil War import mark "Made in URRS" on the receiver. Bubba made sure to:

-Cut down the beautiful, period-correct stock
-lose the forward button band-type barrel band that matched the rear band of the same variety
-Cut the otherwise very nice barrel with the front sight blade
-Weld shut the floorplate on the bottom of the magazine
-Break my freakin' heart

Bubba, you succeeded in taking a $200 rifle and turning it into a $50 POS that was marked at $175. Are you happy????!!!!

Poot

·
Silver Bullet member
15,556 Posts
Frank,
I have the same problem with new made sporters not making sense; but after thinking about it and looking at the prices of new hunting rifles, it may simply be the cost of the milsurp conversion being half or less than a commercial hunting rifle.

·
Registered
4,362 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
03man, Years back when these rifles were way cheaper I guess it made sense to chop up a military rifle to make up a deer rifle. Funny thing is the enfield had a great finish and matching numbers on the bolt, receiver and magazine. BBl wasn't cut down only marking on the left side of the receiver below the rear sight was #4MKI. Trigger guard was something I've never seen before. Front action screw was going into a piece of metal that had been inletted into the main portion of the trigger guard. Aside from the pitting in the bbl which was only in one spot the bore was very shiney and the lands and grooves were bright and sharp. And the ejector screw would have been a cheap easy part to find. When the dealer mumbled something about the Falklands that was it for me. Frank

·
Platinum Bullet Member
7,356 Posts

·
Registered
340 Posts
I feel your pain, comrade.

In my father-in-law's closet, there is a No 4 Mk 1 that Bubba had torn into something fierce. It looks to have what may be a No 5 forestock, no upper handguards, buttstock sanded and refinished to match the forestock with a modern recoil pad and Uncle Mike swivel screws for a nonexistent sling, some kind of adjustable rear sight welded to the barrel just forward of the receiver and the perfectly fine front sights gone in favor of a modern front sight welded to the barrel. The barrel may have been chopped down for that last butcher job. I'm hoping that some day I can lay claim to this gun and either restore her to her milspec condition or, if the barrel was indeed cut down, maybe try to make a No 5 clone as best I can and at least save it from the dishonor of looking like a butt-ugly Bubba gun for as long as I am still alive.

/rantON

I hate when people cut down milsurps to make deer rifles. A milsurp already is a deer rifle; if it was made to kill the most dangerous game on earth (ie, armed human beings), it is already good enough for flora-eaters. If Simo Hayha could kill over 500 men in 100 days using what would today be considered a milsurp (no optics at all, just iron sights), surely Bubba can manage to drop a frickin' deer from 75 yards - and deer don't shoot back.

/rantOFF

1 - 7 of 7 Posts