Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
A while ago I picked up this slim little BSA semiautomatic .22LR rifle, less the staggered column 10 round magazine. Originally, I thought that it was a minor variation of the BSA Armatic rifle produced from 1962 to 1967 since it strongly resembles it with respect to the cylindrical receiver and diagonal gill slots in the left side of the receiver. It differs in that the bolt is manipulated by the trigger guard, the stock is a nice european walnut, and, unfortuantely, it requires a slightly different magazine. I even bought two magazines for the Armatic rifle on speculation that it would work in my Mdl. SL-2, but alas, it's close but not close enough. Also, John Knibbs in his excellent book on the history of BSA titled "The Golden Century" only discusses the BSA Raylock and the Armatic. He makes no mention of my little Mdl SL-2. I have no idea if this BSA Mdl SL-2 is a predecessor, or a successor of the BSA Armatic.

Can any of you BSA experts shed any light on my little curiosity, or perhaps direct me to a source for a replacement magazine, or two?

Here's a few photos of the little critter:

I intend to try John Groenewold and John Appleton, but I'm at a complete dead end if either of those two gentlemen can't help.

LDHare

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yes John, it's a bit sad, but not necessarily catistropic. I've been in a similar situtation with other firearms and I eventually found the elusive magazine. My biggest problem with this one is that I have no specific information on the rifle itself, and I can only guess at what the magazine would look like based on the profile of the mag well recess.
In the past it was common for many firearm owners to engrave their social security numbers on their firearms and remove all the magazines, and then stow them in a separate location to deter theft. Unfortunately, often times these items remained separate when they passed away and their estates were liquidated, or they simply forgot where they put them. Somewhere, probably in PA, there is an odd, staggered column, detachable, .22RF magazine in someone's possession that he can't identify. The trick is to find that individual, but it is much more difficult now since the anti-gun fanatics at Ebay have banned magazines and similar firearm related items.

LDHare

1 - 3 of 3 Posts