Gunboards Forums banner

BSA No. 1 Mk. III Target Rifle

1K views 17 replies 10 participants last post by  Mk VII 
#1 ·
Hi All: Attached are pics from a really nice looking, matching No. 1 Mk. III target rifle. Supposedly a commercial model. Any info and what a good price to pay would be would be appreciated. Thanks. dj

See less See more
#7 ·
Commercial BSA SMLE III's are hard to date. One way is to look at the rear sight bed profile to see if it is set up for Mk VI or Mk VII ammo (mine is still Mk VI) and if it has volley sights. If so the markings on the plate (LES III = Mk VI, LES 2 = Mk VII). Mk VI ammo was discontinued early WWI, still you could have a pre-war example that was converted post-war, but it is a place to start.

Attachments

#15 ·
The action is genuine commercial BSA, post WWI. However, I visited the seller's site and examined the rest of the photos... the barrel has post-1947 Ishapore proofs, so it was obviously replaced at some point. A fine piece and it might shoot well....but $2500 raises an eyebrow to me.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.