Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
558 Posts
Commercial BSA SMLE III's are hard to date. One way is to look at the rear sight bed profile to see if it is set up for Mk VI or Mk VII ammo (mine is still Mk VI) and if it has volley sights. If so the markings on the plate (LES III = Mk VI, LES 2 = Mk VII). Mk VI ammo was discontinued early WWI, still you could have a pre-war example that was converted post-war, but it is a place to start.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
2,783 Posts
No

The only guy that would ask that is Joe Salter, who is determined to never be underpriced, generally his prices are a decade ahead of trend.

In 2008 I bought a Fulton regulated SMLE with the No 5 sight, legit as could be for 750.

·
Registered
397 Posts
The action is genuine commercial BSA, post WWI. However, I visited the seller's site and examined the rest of the photos... the barrel has post-1947 Ishapore proofs, so it was obviously replaced at some point. A fine piece and it might shoot well....but $2500 raises an eyebrow to me.

·
Gold Bullet member
11,757 Posts
Rifle is probably 600-800 depending on originality of parts. Sight another $150-200, perhaps? If it's something you really like, I'd say $800.... $1000 tops.

·
Registered
7,885 Posts
I noticed the PH front sight cover. Here's a what's it worth question. What do they sell for? What are they worth in 'trade bait'?

I came across a set of NOS PH covers. No1, No4, and P14. I don't have a clue.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.