Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I need a little help; I recently purchased an 1877 BSA Mark II MH from IMA new retail store in Easton PA.
If you can get to the store it is well worth the drive, keep in mind they are only open Fridays and Saturdays.
Well after alot of searching and $550.00 latter I was the proud owner of 10 pounds of wood, rust, tool steel and Yak fat.
I got lucky the bore and internal parts were caked with Yak fat and after cleaning are in great shape, almost pristine.
I wanted to remove the forearm wood in order to repair a 4in long hand guard split and to remove as much grease and rust as I could.
Here is the problem, I got the two bands loose and the three pins out but I cannot get the cleaning rod out. I assume it’s a regular thread left loose, right tight. I have WD-40 it, 3 in 1 oiled it, tapped it, beat it, cussed at it, tried a little praying and even heated the rod with an industrial style heat gun on low. When I try turning the rod it flexes but will not turn right or left or come straight out.
From the pictures of cleaning rods I found on line the BSA Mark II may have the wrong cleaning rod, if I am getting this right it’s a latter style rod. The cleaning rod is badly rusted near the center band as is the center band. The center band and cleaning rod are the only areas of the gun seriously affected by rusting. I plan on replacing the center band if I can find one as well as the rod. I see IMA has replacement rods for $30.00 as well as rod stop blocks.
So any suggestions short of explosives to get this rod free? I am willing to destroy the rod if need be in order to remove it.
New to MH's but not to old guns and history
Jim AKA Penmon

·
Premium Member
1,266 Posts
First, the rod isn't held in place by its threaded end, but by the nose cap on the forestock. The threaded end is for the cleaning jag also sold by IMA. As such, the rod is just being held in place by rust against wood. My personal experience is that if you can't work it loose by twisting side to side (without twisting it off of course) is that tapping it out most often works. Place a screwdriver or awl through the hole on the end of the rod and tap the screwdriver with a hammer as closs to the rod as possible. Multiple modest taps are much more likely to finally break it free than one big whack, which is more likely to snap the rod.

·
Silver Bullet member
36,239 Posts
Requires a pull/tap and probably a simultaneous twist to get it out, which means you may need help. Anyway, I got a badly rusted Nepali Francotte rod out that way. I stuck a rod in the end hole, put that rod in a vise. The I pulled and twisted the rifle and it came out. Just had to be very careful not to bend the rod. You could also have someone tap the muzzle with a rubber or rawhide mallet at the same time.

BTW heat will just lock it in more as the steel expands more than the wood of the stock. And more than a tiny bit of oil will make the wood swell.

·
Registered
518 Posts
If you can get the forestock off, you will have access to the threaded end of the rod in its channel (which turns into a tunnel and runs back to the front of the receiver. The rod is not screwed into a nut or anything - it is not like a Mauser. You will find the rod is rusted into its tunnel, and the 4 inch split you describe will be caused by the swelling of the rusted rod. This kind of split usually occurs at the wrist of the butt, where the stockbolt has rusted and swollen in its tunnel. You may be able to tap it out from the end, or it may come out in bits and pieces. Good luck .

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
First and foremost thanks for the help.
I tried clamping and pulling and twisting but to no avail. So I decided to remove the stock. The first thing I needed to do was remove the front band but because the rod was still in place and the screw on the front band had been peened to prevent its removal. I could not remove the band unless I removed the peen; I accomplished this with a Dremle tool and a steady hand, I was then able to remove the screw and spread the front band enough to slide it over the rod and front sight.
After I removed the bands I gentle pulled down on the front part of the hand guard and pulled forward and off she came.
What I found was the rod was all the way thru the wood of the hand guard and was welded with rust against the front of the receiver. A slight downward movement easily separated it from the front of the receiver. I then grove the rod from its threaded end toward the barrel end of the hand guard with a hammer and after it was flush in the stock I used a punch to push it farther forward.
At this point I was able to clamp the rod and twist and pull till it came out.
The weird thing is I see no rod stop were should it be. I see a pocket in the front of the receiver about the size of a quarter and maybe ¼ inch deep does it fit in that recess?
The only other cut out area in the hand guard is a recessed area were the rear stock retaining pin goes, this is about two inches from the rear of the hand guard. It has a small metal square inserted in the back of the recess on the receiver side. This petal square is about the size of a penny but a little thicker, I assume this to be a reinforcing lug?
Do you think this might be a replacement hand guard from Nepal, the wood is darker than the stock and appears to be a slightly different grain, it is also very oily, wipe it off and its oily again in no time. I scrubbed the hand guard with hot soapy water, several times and was able to remove most of the oil.This also helped lighten the color but it is still darker than the stock.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.