Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2,684 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anybody here done any business with him.I ordered a sight tool and he recieved payment on the 14th of Feb.I haven't heard from him since.No bad feelings yet but I'm a bit concerned.If someone knows a way to contact him I'd like to do so.Thanks for any help.

·
Registered
2,684 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Nobodies bought this guys sight tool?Is he a friggen ghost or just slow as s*&# dealing with his customers?The last three or four transactions I've done here have left me a bit PO'ed.When I buy an item I've gotten the address to send funds in one day.I've sent a MO for all the next day.After that it's been over 2 weeks or more till my item came to me.One item now I bought over two weeks ago and payment was recieved (he PMed me to let me know) on Sat.He said it would have his wife take it to the PO during the week.If not he was off on Thurs. and take it himself.Another guy has my money for over a week and still no merchandise.
This is total bull****.
Now I bought a rifle what for me is big money.I PMed the person yesterday afternoon to confirm he got the MO,sent USPS 2 day guaranteed del. by 3:00PM,and still no answer.
I think I'm at the end of dealing with private sellers.I never have a problem with established companies.

·
Gold Bullet Member
9,970 Posts
I would like to also clarify things a bit more as well. If you look at my website for the Elby Mosin sight tools, you would find all the information about how I do it myself, that I sell these at a VERY small profit margin in order to help people in being able to adjust these old war horses easily. You would also find my email, as well as a telephone number, so it seems pretty obvious that you never bothered to click on the "Contact me" in the menu. There ARE members on here who have purchased from me, I know that Stalin's Ghost has at least as he had mentioned it in several posts.

I have sold nearly 1k of them in 8 countries with TWO returns, both of which were not the fault of the person using them, not the tool. In both cases I sent them a new tool even though it was not covered under the warranty.

No, I don't notify every buyer that I got their payment and exactly when their tool will be shipped, I thought that the statement on lead time was clear enough for people to understand. The buyer receives an email when the shipping label is printed, giving them their tracking information.

I make approximately 20-25 of these a week, depending on whether they are the 91/30, the wartime M44, M38 or the pain in the rear end M44/T53 one. Mark at buymilsurp carries them and has since last September, and at the moment I am so busy that I can't even keep his stock numbers up. Today, I was wondering how I could handle the demand, and your posting helped to make up my mind. I was toying with the idea of stopping sales on my website so that I could bring Mark's inventory up, and just send people to them. Granted, they would have to pay his markup and whatever he gets for shipping over what I charge on my site. Of course, so far you are the only one out of nearly a thousand buyers who seems to have a problem with the two week wait to have their tool made for them, so I supposed I could accept it and drive on as I have.
Sir, I don't have a dog in this fight, but when I am in need of such a device I will gladly order one from you. Your reply to this situation is class act.

Pahtu.

·
Registered
230 Posts
Ed, if you go to my website for ELBY mosin nagant sight tools, on the left hand side you'll see a menu. On that menu you'll see the words "Contact me". In the center of that same page, you'll see in big red letters that (at the time you placed your order) there was a lead time of 7 to 15 working days till shipping. Today makes the 8th day since you ordered. This run of tools is scheduled to ship either late Monday or possibly Tuesday morning, within the time frame stated.

If you look at the website closer, you'll also find out a lot more about my tools, and why they are so much more affordable than any of the others floating around out there. I make them individually to order, in any of the in stock colors of powder coating that I list on the site. I don't own any CNC machinery. I'm retired, live on a Federal disability annuity and make these and sell them for a VERY small profit primarily so that shooters can easily adjust these old warhorses.

Mark at buymilsurp carries my tools as well, and if you look at his website you'll see that at the present time, I can't keep his stock levels up. Wonder why? Because, as the front page says, I am currently freakin swamped. Word travels fast I guess. But whether you're an individual or a commercial account, your order is built in the order it is received. Yours is part of a 25 tool order that I am running this week, and while that might not sound like a lot of tools to you, try making them like I do, with the quality that you get, and powder coated as well.

I hope that this post gives you a bit of the explanation that an email to me, or a phone call, would have gotten you. If you are still unhappy, and don't want your tool to be shipped to you on Monday, just let me know and I'll happily refund your $18 and you can apply that towards buying a tool from one of the other makers, whose prices start around $25 for the same thing, only in raw aluminum.

·
Registered
230 Posts
Sir, I don't have a dog in this fight, but when I am in need of such a device I will gladly order one from you. Your reply to this situation is class act.

Pahtu.

Thank you for your post. I do my best to make myself available to my buyers, but if they can't navigate a simple website, there isn't much more I can do. I run this thing by myself, and quite simply, if I spend the time at the computer replying to each order and emailing them as to when the order will ship on top of buying materials, making the tools, packaging them and shipping them, all that will do is slow me down even further. While I'm pleased that business is booming (pun intended), if problems continue in this manner I feel that I will have no choice to close my website sales and buyers will then have to purchase from one of the dealers carrying them, at a substantially higher price.

·
Registered
2,684 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
My only problem is that I think letting customers know you're work load is overwhelming.I'd be the first to understand and be more patient.I heard good things about the quality and reasonable cost of your sight tool.That's why I ordered it.I's sorry if you took my impatience personally.All I want is to recieve my item and go out and enjoy going shooting.
The reference to someone having my MO for two weeks wasn't Mr Robinson,it was someone a private seller who for some reason was just lax in compleating a transaction.I assure everyone here if they ever buy anything from me they would never have to get on here and beat on me about either quality of delivery of and item.I guess maybe I expect everyone else to equal the standards I go by.

·
Registered
25,491 Posts
Heck Bruce, if anything with your response, this thread turned out to be great advertising for your sight adjusting tool. I had never seen your product..... Now I'm interested..... I agree with Pahtu. If I'm ever in the market, I'm coming to you first.

Sean

·
Registered
230 Posts
This is a copy and paste from the home page on my website, more on that in a second.

CURRENT LEAD TIME ON SIGHT TOOLS IS 10-15 WORKING DAYS TILL SHIPPING AT THE PRESENT TIME DUE TO DEMAND. Normally I keep a number of each tool on hand, but due to recent large purchases my stock on hand has been depleted... ALL ORDERS ARE PROCESSED IN THE ORDER THAT THEY ARE RECEIVED>>>THANKS FOR YOUR PATIENCE!

NO MORE ADVERTISING!!! lol... yeah, I know, it's strange to see someone say that. I'm already uncomfortable with having people wait that long for them, and it's only gotten worse. I've added machines, I can't afford CNC setups. I was just talking with the wife about adding a $650 milling machine so that I could face like 25 tools at once instead of singly. Not sure how that will work out, she worked in a machine shop when I met her and is an incredible source of help for me although her disability keeps her from running any of the machines now. She's on me all the time for working all hours and usually 7 days a week. Heck, I have THREE NEW GUNS in my safe that have been there for over a week and not ONE round fired through any of them!
My daughter has offered to help me with the computer end of the deal, so I may take her up on that as far as confirming orders and making sure that buyers understand the facts that they are made as orders come in, and that they have the option to have different colors, I'll talk to her tomorrow about setting that up since it seems to be something that may need to be addressed.

·
Silver Bullet member
36,339 Posts
A statesman wants courage and a statesman wants vision; but believe me, after six months' experience, he wants first, second, third and all the time - patience.
Stanley Baldwin

Ditto for gun nuts.

And good luck with your "small" business, Bruce. From experience I know that a successful one will suck up every minute of time you have available.
:thumbsup:

·
Registered
230 Posts
Honest, I swear it wasn't intended to be a "business", lol! In reality I did look around trying to find one of these tools after buying my first 91/30 which, as usual, shot high and to the right. Having a mechanical background, it didn't take much to come up with one. I had found old links to Stan Wards original tool, the LT1, but it wasn't available and all his emails turned up no good. I posted my tool on one of the forums I belong to and had a few guys want them. Sold them on ebay for a while but eventually couldn't keep up with the regular orders and sell on there, plus their fees...:eek: I see now where the company that made the LT1 has brought out one again, the design changed a bit and it's aluminum as mine are, and a couple more guys making them and selling on ebay, one double sided and made out of steel, another that locates itself on the front sight post, but double sided as well so you can't use those if you want to remove the sight completely. Youtube user logcabinlooms has a couple of videos where he uses one of mine, he seems to like it pretty well.

Then of course someone asked about one for the M38, then this one and that one which led to the whole bunch of them. I went from making six of them a week, all cut with a hacksaw and milled out on a Harbor Freight drill press with a milling vise, to the 20-25 a week that I make now. No big shop, the drill presses are in the basement, the rest of the stuff out in my one car garage along with a couple Dodge Neon engines and assorted parts. The wife does the packaging for me, and it looks like I'll have to bring the daughter on to enter orders and sent contact emails. I have a small manufacturing company that the wife and I used to work for that has a good bunch of guys in the machine shop, I may see if it would be feasible cost-wise to bring them in to do a part of the process, which could pretty well just leave the powder coating for me to do. I'm just wondering when the part of being "retired" comes along where I get to go fishing and shooting whenever I want???? I have three new guns in the safe for over a week now and not one single round through any of them!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.