Gunboards Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just got a used Israeli made Browning Hi Power Mark III (9mm). I immediately discovered the magazine disconnect which makes the trigger “creaky” or jerky.

Online searching shows a lot of people removing the magazine disconnect and instructions on how to do it. From what I can gather, it lets the magazine drop when released and allows the gun to fire without a magazine in it. I’m thinking of doing this.

But before I do this, I would like to hear from anyone who has any tips, advice, or lessons learned on this little project.

I’m not afraid of doing this kind of work on a pistol, but I don’t want to scratch or break anything either.

Comments?

·
Gold Bullet Member and Noted Curmudgeon
93,671 Posts
No scratches, nothing to break in removing the magazine safety. I'd keep the parts and re-install it before selling the gun, but other than that, removal is all good.

·
Platinum Bullet member
20,162 Posts
If you even loosely follow these instructions, you will be successful in obtaining results that you would swear were worth a $100 trigger job - it makes That Much of an improvement.

If you shoot someone or do property damage by not first unloading your Hi Power & taking all reasonable precautions, then maybe the lawyer words needed uttering beforehand. According to your Avitar, you look like a normal IQ human being, so I'll I'll leave the weasel words to practicing attorneys.

Remove the mag and slide. Drift out the trigger pin from right to left; reinstall from left to right.

For reinstallation purposes, keep an eye on the orientation of the trigger spring and the TRIGGER DISCONNECTOR.

Set the removed trigger on several thicknesses of your best sugar sack dish towel, and tap out the little pin in the trigger that secures the MAGAZINE DISCONNECTOR, and it's little spring - bag & tag them & toss them somewhere safe ...

NOW (important step): Go make a sandwich and pour yourself a beer. Set aside for a few moments later.

Return to the trigger & reinstall it into the frame. Re install the slide, and the mag, wipe off the slobber & fingerprints.

OK, go ahead and dry fire it a couple of times.

Be VERY impressed with yourself, for accomplishing such a significant improvement to your Hi Power.

No go wash down the sandwich with that beer.

A 69C Hi Power was the first handgun I bought back when I was finally legally old enough to do so. I eventually upgraded the sights, but the trigger remained awful. For such an expensive purchase ($169) the trigger was a major disappointment.

According to several gunshops and a buncha "Experts" at the Ohio Gun Collector's Association shows, there were only a small, select handful of gunsmiths nationwide capable of doing BHP trigger work. Believing it was a delicate task, requiring expense, shipping to & fro, insurance and a long wait, I opted to store my BHP.

About a dozen years ago I happened across Mark Graham while in a a rare talkative & civil mood. He had several Hi Powers on his table & said that he does trigger work on them. The starting point is the mag disconnector removal. From there he works some other skilled magic. Sure I could tell the difference between the disconnector removal trigger quality & the other hand finishing, but the simple disconnector removal provides enough of a performance improvement for me.

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks to both for the comments. I shall start drinking beer immediately as that seems to be in order.

"...normal IQ human being..." now there's something i don't hear very often!;)

1 - 4 of 4 Posts