Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
327 Posts
Just as a point of interest....there are two types of .380s.....blowbacks and locked breech. Blowbacks are sometimes a bit snappier and the slides are usually a lot harder to "work" as the recoil spring is stronger.

Locked breech (typical system to almost all 9 and .45 pistols ala Browning HPs and Sig 226s) are sometimes softer shooting and almost easier to rack to slide.

Typical locked breech guns are Sig 250s, Walther 380, Star model 2, and some others.

When I got a 380 for myself I got a Sig 230 (a blowback); and for my wife a Walther PK 380 and Sig 250. The BDA is a blowback.

·
Registered
4,453 Posts
As indicared Beretta made their mod 84 for Browning with a traditional slide and decocking hammer if i recall mine being so equipped. For a 380 they are large and recoil a bit with their blow back operation, however, reliability and beautiful assembly are it's strong points. The pistol has a double stack mag and therefore a large grip compounded by thick wood panels.
i personally like the traditional slide over my Mod 84 Beretta with it's open one.

·
Gold Bullet Member and Noted Curmudgeon
100,639 Posts
As indicared Beretta made their mod 84 for Browning with a traditional slide and decocking hammer if i recall mine being so equipped. For a 380 they are large and recoil a bit with their blow back operation, however, reliability and beautiful assembly are it's strong points. The pistol has a double stack mag and therefore a large grip compounded by thick wood panels.
i personally like the traditional slide over my Mod 84 Beretta with it's open one.
A hearty second on that from this pew. I have one, like it, including the wider grip from the double-stack magazine that helps distribute the recoil better. A little harder to hide than my Model 51 Remington from 1919 or my Bersa Thunder, but more comfortable to shoot. Not nickled, but would expect one to have all of the goodness the blue guns do, plus more resistant to corrosion.

·
Banned
2,173 Posts
I've owned the Beretta, Browning, and FN (140DA) versions. They're well built guns, but a bit large by today's standards for a 380. For $800 it would have to be nickled and in the box like new for me. You should be able to find them cheaper.

·
Gold Bullet Member and Noted Curmudgeon
100,639 Posts
$800 is a bit more than I'd give for one, but that may be because I only shelled out two C-notes for mine. Sometime in early 80s, when a dollar went further than it does now...

The above said, they are nice little guns and I like mine.

·
Registered
4,453 Posts
I have an 84 BB that i bought some time ago and not for $800. My Browning was purchased so long ago i cannot remember the price but personally $800 is several hundred more than i would give for a new one today.
Withbthe Berettas I prefer the BB over the F because it has the rounded trigger guard, nice high polish finish and manual safety ( cocked and lockked) rather than the hammer drop feature of the F.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.