Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
At the gun show today I saw some Brown Bear 7.62x54R "Match" ammo. Is this a new line of match grade ammo that Barnaul is producing? Has anyone seen this or tried it? It was $7.95/box, about the same as other non-corrosive x54R, so I got a box. Will try it later.

·
Gold Bullet Member
2,911 Posts
Did the box say match or did the seller say match? Cause the former is believable but the latter isn't. I remember being sold albanian "match" at some point... but it was in plastic bags so i think the seller jipped me there... never getting that $2 back. Barnaul is usually solid so at least it's not a disaster.

·
Registered
688 Posts
Up from the grave yard! Haha. Anyway, I bought 2 boxes of this stuff today just to try. I have NEVER shot any modern commercial ammo is this caliber, only surplus. So, anybody try it? Is it really "match" grade stuff? Not much info on the web. Gonna run it out of my R Guns PU and maybe an M39.

·
Registered
757 Posts
this is strictly a shot in the dark and a long one at that but if you can look up what the factory marking for the known military ammo marked in the wooden case as Sniper in Russian issued for the SVD etc and see if it matches that on the case rim it might be. Also just could be a marketing scam where the Russians or there U.S. agent has decided to make a little extra selling ammo marked match or match grade when it is the normal military sold as civillian ammo. U.S. makers have been known to tweak some cartridge and then mark it as match and jack the price. There was apparently some real "commercial" boxed match ammo years ago when the first Russian "commercial" contract ammo came in that was really like international competion grade stuff but no one realized it and blasted it off like generic surplus. If this is real match it might be from the same source(s). Of course I have no idea what label is associated with what former state arsenal of the old Soviet Union. Again just a wild thought on both counts.

·
Silver Bullet Member
2,105 Posts
At the gun show today I saw some Brown Bear 7.62x54R "Match" ammo. Is this a new line of match grade ammo that Barnaul is producing? Has anyone seen this or tried it? It was $7.95/box, about the same as other non-corrosive x54R, so I got a box. Will try it later.
I bought a couple hundred rounds of this stuff (174 gr.) for my Mosin sniper repro because it favors the heavier bullets. It does say "match" on all the boxes and the stuff will produce 2 inch groups @ 100 yds. out of my 43' Izhevsk PU scoped Mosin 91/30. It's pretty good stuff, but I can't say for certain it's significantly better than any other commercially available 174 gr. non-corrosive ammo in this caliber, OTOH it's no more expensive than comparable steel cased Russian imported ammo of the same type, so IMHO it's certainly a worth a try in any particular Mosin just to see how it will shoot. As far as being truly "Match Grade" in the Western "Match grade ammo" sense.... Uhh, well probably not.

·
Gold Bullet member
8,517 Posts
The Brown Bear 174 gr "Match" bullet has a flat base. It is the only ammo that shoots decently in my M38 with rough bore. The open jacket in the flat base opens up and seals more effectively in rough bores than a boat tail bullet.

·
Registered
4,351 Posts
I shot a 200 yard CMP match a few weeks back. In the lane to my right, there was a father/son shooting this stuff through a 91/30. They seemed to be doing pretty well with it, despite the fact that they had just recently purchased the rifle and had never fired it beyond 100 yards, before. I know that's not a measure of any scientific significance, but any non-corrosive, heavy bullet that's reasonably priced and will shoot as well as what I saw under the conditions....certainly deserves mention.

I would still like to see a more formal range report, if possible.;)

John

·
Registered
301 Posts
Just a heads up, Dan Tobin mentioned that they just received a shipment of the "true" Russian Mfg. 7.62 x 54R Match/Target, if some of you good old boys remember this particular ammunition that was brass cased in the yellow boxes, from goggling it seems that this stuff is even more accurate than the SNIPER,

·
Silver Bullet Member
5,991 Posts
Just a heads up, Dan Tobin mentioned that they just received a shipment of the "true" Russian Mfg. 7.62 x 54R Match/Target, if some of you good old boys remember this particular ammunition that was brass cased in the yellow boxes, from goggling it seems that this stuff is even more accurate than the SNIPER,
Is it similar packaging to the yellow box 7.62 Nagant Target/match ammo? Do you have any links?

Here's the 7.62x38r russian target ammo. This stuff is 1972 vintage...

·
Registered
23 Posts
Does it really matter? are you going to be shooting your 91/30 in a match or are you just target shooting? I think as long as it is reasonably priced and NON corrosive it is a good deal. I shoot all surplus russian, I figure I have to clean it anyway so why not use surplus.

·
Registered
816 Posts
There was some bona fide Wolf "Extra" 7.62x54R match competition ammo that showed up several years ago... From the reports - it was good stuff... but it was corrosive... and several people had significant trouble with rusty bores... because "Hey, nobody makes or sells corrosive ammo anymore!"....

You occasionally run across it....

Brown Bear isn't that stuff, though...

Thanks

·
Registered
816 Posts
An aside after last weekend....
We shot a box of that Brown Bear "Match" in one of my Finn M39's....

Short story is that Match ammo it's not... at least not in that particular Finn M39.... That particular stuff averaged about 3 MOA at 100 yards...

I will set the other box of it off to the side for future accuracy testing... Unfortunately, I have never owned a rifle where Brown Bear was #1 for accuracy/consistency.... but maybe the next one will be it!

Thanks

1 - 20 of 25 Posts