Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone, I just took my broomhandle out to the range and have had some sort of failure and can't get the gun to disassemble. Upon firing the last round in the mag the bolt and hammer locked back as usual... but now the slide has no spring tension and moves freely back and forth on the receiver. The trigger also does nothing now and the hammer is stuck in the locked position. The latch to remove the lock work lifts as normal, but I can't disassemble past that point.

Any ideas?

·
Registered
2,105 Posts
Hi Meridius,

Turn it upside down on a padded solid wood surface & wack the pistol against the wood. You might have broken the main spring or the little V (SEAR) spring (right side of lower lock) may have broken. Take out the floor plate, mag spring & follower---- FIRST.
I don't think it is a major issue as nothing is really locked up tight.
It should come apart once the mag spring is removed. Mine did. Please call the Broom closet in Stark Fl. They may have a better fix. I don't have a phone # handy.

Good Luck!

point622000

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi Meridius,

Turn it upside down on a padded solid wood surface & wack the pistol against the wood. You might have broken the main spring or the little V (SEAR) spring (right side of lower lock) may have broken. Take out the floor plate, mag spring & follower---- FIRST.
I don't think it is a major issue as nothing is really locked up tight.
It should come apart once the mag spring is removed. Mine did. Please call the Broom closet in Stark Fl. They may have a better fix. I don't have a phone # handy.

Good Luck!

point622000
Thanks! I'll give this a try tonight and report back. I was beginning to lose all hope...

·
Registered
2,105 Posts
HI M,

The first time I took my C-96 apart, it took three nights for me to get it back together! It was a worn Chinese import.

The trick with that one, was to have three hands to hold all the little parts in place. To be able to slide the top & bottom lockworks back together. That one would not lock up like the instructions said it would. Some thick grease on a few parts helped alot.
The other two brooms were better in that respect. I'll give you $100 sight unseen for that old paper weight! ---LOL---

Good Luck,
point6

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
HI M,

The first time I took my C-96 apart, it took three nights for me to get it back together! It was a worn Chinese import.

The trick with that one, was to have three hands to hold all the little parts in place. To be able to slide the top & bottom lockworks back together. That one would not lock up like the instructions said it would. Some thick grease on a few parts helped alot.
The other two brooms were better in that respect. I'll give you $100 sight unseen for that old paper weight! ---LOL---

Good Luck,
point6
Well still no luck with the broom... I have the bolt, floor plate, spring and follower removed and the latch on the lock work is lifted but the lock work still won't budge after a few solid taps on a wood block. I've disassembled this broomhandle countless times over the years, something internally is still preventing it from being disassembled...

·
Registered
13,903 Posts
Is it possible that the pistol was assembled with the rocker coupling in backwards? This will usually make the pistol almost impossible to disassemble normally.

There are ways to get a C96 with a reversed rocker coupling apart, but I don't know them. You MIGHT find advice on how to do it with a search or two on this site.

·
Registered
2,105 Posts
Hi Ronbo6,

I hope that is not the issue! I had to make a special tool made from a screwdriver to fit the small space in the frame. To open up my pal's C-96. That main spring is stong! I'm sure he can find a How to on the net.

Best to all,
point6

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Hi Ronbo6,

I hope that is not the issue! I had to make a special tool made from a screwdriver to fit the small space in the frame. To open up my pal's C-96. That main spring is stong! I'm sure he can find a How to on the net.

Best to all,
point6
I don't think it is the rocker coupling. The gun functioned just fine for several mags until it failed... any other thoughts as to what it could be? I'm starting to worry there is no way to fix this...

·
Silver Bullet member
2,604 Posts
Google 1896 Mauser. This was a great Broomhandle site, but unfortunately the forum was hacked long ago. At the top of the home page there are some stickies which still work. One on disassembly has an illistrated article on fixing coupling jams. Good luck.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.