Gunboards Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
946 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was approached by this person (forum name 'Brooks', name used in email 'Tony Brooks', email: [email protected]) after I posted in WTB section looking for a Russian SVT-40. His offer sounded too good to be true. He emailed me pics quickly. After a quick google search, I discovered that the pics are actually from a closed Guns International (GI) ad.

He insisted that he bought it from a GA seller online 6 months ago and all pics are his personally taken, not from the previous seller. However, GI clearly showed the real seller was in KY. 'Brooks' only wants to take Paypal Payment for Family or Friends. When I told him I only use USPS Money Order, he disappeared.

Tricky things in this case:

(1) he provided me his phone number and did not mind I calling him. His phone number is
256-445-6656. However, google showed this number linked to a scammer reported on the S&W forums.
(2) he actually has one positive feedback here:

https://forums.gunboards.com/showthread.php?1166741-Brooks-is-A&highlight=brooks

I strongly suspected the guy who left him feedback was his partner, or his another user name.

(3) he had 9 posts on the forums. So he looks different from normal scammers with only one or none post. But his 9 posts also provided me the hint that he is a scammer. His posts mentioned he checked prices online, so it's impossible for him not to know the current market prices for Russian SVT-40 rifles.

Forum members, please be careful!

If forum admin needs email evidence, I am glad to provide. Thank you!

·
Super Moderator
6,440 Posts
He is history, along with his partner Fowler Greg.

·
Registered
301 Posts
[email protected]

And

[email protected]

Both emailed me as the same person in reply to my WTB. Vague pictures were shown the first time with an aggressive price. When I requested more detailed pics, the second email showed up with very detailed pics of a different gun offered for the same price. A quick search on google found these pics to come from a closed Guns America auction, from a reputable seller in TX. Brooks 1 & 2 claimed to be from S.Santa Fe Visalia, CA.

33929B07-7619-4914-9D7C-F646E593F0A1_1599736754165.jpg

1 - 3 of 3 Posts