Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Silver Bullet Member
1,529 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone ever experienced or know of this happening on a 99 or other LMG bolt? I was shooting 7.62x39 thru my conversion kit. Gun was assembled properly and well lubed.

Shannon

Sent from my SM-G892U using Tapatalk

·
Platinum Bullet member
960 Posts
Hi Shannon,

That's bummer. Unfortunately the only MG's I have shot were yours at Bobby's a number of years ago and at Langley's. You should be able to get someone to TIG weld it and re-machine it. I can machine it if necessary. Don

·
Diamond Bullet Member
1,520 Posts
Looks like the firing pin safety arm was misaligned, and was hitting the top edge of it's slot in the bolt.
Look for unusual wear on the safety arm.
As Don indicated, it should be a fairly easy repair tig welding the area , then machining it back to proper dimensions.

·
Silver Bullet Member
1,529 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Gregg,

The firing pin saftey arm makes sense. The previous owner, pre-2001, had install the arm upside down and fired it for some time. It is a bit chewed up and time and wear may have caught up with the bolt. Anyone know a TIG welder? We don't have many machine shops in Northern VA. Can I take it to a hot rod or vintage car shop? We've got a few of those in our area.

After 20 years and 10,000 plus rounds I've broken an op rod, numerous firing pins (thanks Roy Boone and Don Schlickman for new FPs), and now my bolt. Stuff happens. I'd rather break it shooting, than let is collect dust or rust.

Don, I may take you up one machining it once I find a TIG welder.

Thanks, Shannon

·
Registered
423 Posts
You should feel "lucky". I had an original bolt completely snap in half also while running 7.62X39 conversion. I hope you can get it fixed!!!

·
Registered
1,010 Posts
Do you think it was a weak spot? Hard to tell from the picture, but the grain looks off. May just be the from the picture.

Tribrothers

·
Registered
8,331 Posts
It seems odd to me that everybody that uses their gun in 7.62x39 breaks something. Just wondering other than the issue with that part being installed wrong prior. Is the conversion upping the cyclic rate to high?

·
Registered
44 Posts
It seems odd to me that everybody that uses their gun in 7.62x39 breaks something. Just wondering other than the issue with that part being installed wrong prior. Is the conversion upping the cyclic rate to high?
I noticed the same thing. I know two other people who broke either a 96 or 99 this year. Both guys are running it in 7.62x39. I wonder if it’s because the guns are just getting used more often in x39 now.
I wouldn’t think x39 beats the guns up. Unless over gassed maybe.

·
Platinum Bullet member
19,191 Posts
Maybe it’s the steel cased ammo? I broke two bolts in my M-1 carbine before I figured that out. The steel cased ammunition I was using is harder to extract causing extra stress on the bolt.

·
Registered
8,331 Posts
I've only ever used 9mm steel case ammo and some GI WW2 .45acp. A little spray of oil will minimize extraction issues with steel cased ammo. Especially on belt fed guns.

·
Silver Bullet Member
1,529 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Ed,

Interesting observation and question. Next time I am out with both calibers, I'll time the cyclic rate. It does not seem to run faster, and i don't think it is over gassed with 7.62x39mm, but can't objectively confirm. I can confirm I've broken one extractor, one op rod, numerous firing pins and now a bolt. The FPs have broken with 7.7mm and x39mm. I don't recall what caliber I was shooting when my op rod broke at the threads/joint. I only shoot lacquer steel or brass. The polymer (grey colored) Wulf and Tula stick in my chamber. Lacquer does not stick.

Shannon

Sent from my SM-G892U using Tapatalk

1 - 12 of 12 Posts