Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Izhvesk 1945 M44 I got for $200 today...boy I wish I was around for the good ole days and the good ole prices. Kicks like a mule and is pretty good for an anti-material rifle.. lol Still has a bit of Cosmoline on it and I think there's some on the stock too - Any tips for removing it? I'm thinking the stock should clean up really nice if I can get it off. I have a heat gun but I don't want to warp anything - also have some mineral spirits but IDK if that will damage it? There was none in the barrel before I fired it - It looks like it's mostly on the stock because it's a tad sticky - and the cleaning rod/bayonet and a few other spots of it on the barrel and such.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
2,650 Posts
You're not going to need a heat gun for that. Put it out in the sun, it'll practically melt off. Just wipe it off with some rags. DO NOT put mineral spirits or anything like it on that stock, you'll ruin it by taking the shellac as well. In fact you can use warm water and do the same thing. Congrats on your rifle. Richard

·
Silver Bullet Member
4,190 Posts
No heat gun. No mineral spirits. WD40 will take it off nicely and not harm the wood. Or as jaws said. Bucket of warm water. Hoppes will take it off too.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Not sure where you are located but I've always had good luck wrapping stocks in newspaper, placing them in a black garbage bag and putting it all on the front dash of my truck. The sun does all the work for you, you just have to swap out clean newspaper a couple times a day.

·
Registered
481 Posts
You're not going to need a heat gun for that. Put it out in the sun, it'll practically melt off. Just wipe it off with some rags. DO NOT put mineral spirits or anything like it on that stock, you'll ruin it by taking the shellac as well. In fact you can use warm water and do the same thing. Congrats on your rifle. Richard
Not true. Mineral spirits will not remove the finish at least not yet for me after several hundred cleanings... Warm or hot water, on the other had will possibly remove the finish depending if the finish is shellac or not. On the OP's gun with original finish I wouldn't use water on it.

·
Diamond Bullet Member
9,096 Posts
I have used mineral spirits on lots with no shellac or varnish damage. That is "paint thinner" - not "paint remover."

Murphy's Oil Soap is the only soap I ever use, and that only for really filthy ones.

(Carburetor cleaner is good for metal cleaning but will destroy any wood finish, so only use it far, far from any wood. Also, don't breathe it - nasty and very flammable stuff, use outdoors only.)

·
Registered
32 Posts
Mineral spirits will remove the oil (and cosmo) from oiled stocks and metal parts. That's about it. For shellac stocks and finishes like that, it takes something stronger. Thinner, denatured alcohol, MEK (hot stuff), etc. Sad to say, but it looks like the $200 Mosin is the rule and no longer the exception. The heyday of cheap Mosins and excellent selections has passed.

·
Silver Bullet Member
2,091 Posts
You can use turpentine to remove the cosmoline. That stock doesn't look shellacked, it looks oiled. Turpentine won't hurt anything.

·
Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·

·
Registered
2,796 Posts
Yeah I'm not even going to go into what I did to get the money(Nothing illegal) but I was broke and I saw this deal on armslist and had to have it.. !

PROOF! = https://www.armslist.com/posts/6718705/fayetteville-arkansas-rifles-for-sale--1945-m44-mosin-nagant and I didn't really have to even argue with him he went down to $200 pretty quickly when I asked what his bottom dollar was.. Bore is pristine.. Stock has lots of storage marks, looks like.
He says bore is fair-good and you say pristine? DId you clean it to get it from his condition to your condition?

·
Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
He says bore is fair-good and you say pristine? DId you clean it to get it from his condition to your condition?
Lol sorry man, I'm just happy and excited.. Yeah I suppose "pristine" is a little exaggerated, but for a $200 m44 to an average joe like me it's in a range between damn-fine to damn-fine to the nth power to me..Shoots nice, too.
-

·
Registered
92 Posts
$200 m44

Mineral spirits will remove the oil (and cosmo) from oiled stocks and metal parts. That's about it. For shellac stocks and finishes like that, it takes something stronger. Thinner, denatured alcohol, MEK (hot stuff), etc. Sad to say, but it looks like the $200 Mosin is the rule and no longer the exception. The heyday of cheap Mosins and excellent selections has passed.
Are you kidding? These days a $200 M44 is cheap. $350 is next to unheard of for one of these. Point me toward the seller who has M44s for $200. Show me a seller with decent T53s for that....

This isn't 1995.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.