Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am curious about the Brno action on a rifle I have, it is a large ring 98 type, the receiver ring is marked with 3 lines;
in an arc CS ZAVODY NA
in an arc VYROBU ZBRANI
straight BRNO

on the side of the ring 9607 N3

above the serial is a blotted out area, I can see the last 2 numbers are 33 or 35

More photos at http://s36.photobucket.com/albums/e40/james-l/Brno/

The action seems to be commercial quality and has double set triggers, any ideas what it is and when it was made?

·
Silver Bullet member
2,113 Posts
sporterized Spainish Civil War rifle. Reciever was made in 1923-24, held in reserve and then produced in late 30's for shipment to Republican side in SCW. Rifles paid for by STalin.
gil

·
Registered
1,136 Posts
To translate the reciever marking... CS. ZAVODY. NA VYROBU ZBRANI, BRNO - "Czechoslovak Factory for the Manufacture of Weapons, Brno"

·
Platinum+ Bullet Member
2,298 Posts
On the VZ24 short rifles, when and how long was this logo used. Was this logo used primarily for export models?

·
Registered
480 Posts
On the VZ24 the logo is more common straight rather than in a arch. Before 1937 this logo was common and is used on both export and Czech use weapons with more of the Lion being used by Czech forces.

·
Registered
1,949 Posts
This reciever came off a Czech VZ-24 which was adopted into the Czech military. The curved receiver name was used from early 1920's thru A block Turk contract. The straight line was used mid to late 20's thru the E block Turk contract. (these would be 98/22 rifles) The standing Lion came in about 1933', used only on Czech military rifles. Export rifles had crest of the purchasing country or just a date, some may have had blank rec. top. After the Brno name and address was no longer put on top they usually appeared on side rail. There are two things that show this. The serial number and the partial military acceptance stamp, above and slightly right of 'blotted' out area. This is a E followed by a stick figure lion in a circle, this should be followed by a 2 degit date, which is gone. The other is the serial number type. 4 degits and a letter/number. This was used only for the Czech military, export rifles used 4 or 5 degit number with a letter. The Czech numbers only go to 9999 with a letter, in this case N. The 3 after N indicates the third time thru the alphabet. When this "letter/number" follows the serial it indicates Brno, when it proceeds the serial it indicates Bysterica, which did not make rifles till later 30's. This reciever was held back for a long time as my serial lists shows N2 being made in 1930 (straight address) and N4 being 1937 (lion crest). Why I do not know and will not guess. As for the 'blotted' out part, could very well be a new acceptence stamp applied if number is a 35, maybe during a rebuild with new serial put on also? Then blotted out when sold (to Spain?)
PS; on second thought I doubt a new serial was put on, as it shows no evidence of one being removed.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts