Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
4,265 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm looking for some photos of British/Commonwealth troops armed with 1911 pistols for an article I'm writing. Any time period.

If you have some could you please contact me or post them here.

Many thanks.

·
Registered
6 Posts
It is talked about in the book Fighting with Popski's private army by Park Yunnie , when the desert war was over a lot of the men were reassigned and given either ingles 9mm or the American 1911 . I don't remember pix but I hope it will give you some help , also check the weapons of the LRDG .

·
Registered
14,761 Posts
Canadian troops in WW1 were initaly armed with the 1911. For some reason the supply types couldn't understand why they needed spare magazines. Apparently they failed to note the difference between a 1911 and a Webley revolver.;)

Same thinking when a British unit indented for hi-powers. The reply, "but you already have your full complement of pistols! (.380 revolvers)

·
Registered
1,188 Posts
The NA photo comes from the Imperial War Museum website, but they think it is a Browning! Handguns are treated like nuclear weapons in Britain these days and so there is no expertise, even at the IWM it would seem.

The second photo is scanned from the book "Allied Special Forces Insignia 1939-1948" by Peter Taylor, page 70.

Peter

Attachments

·
Registered
4,265 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Peter:

I'm sure that's a 1911 in the first picture. Is there any way of getting a larger view of it???

·
Gold Bullet Member and Noted Curmudgeon
100,616 Posts
No. 1 is fer shur NOT a Browning (except in the sense the 1911/1011A1 was a Browning design). I blew it up to 400#, and it looks like 1911/1911A1 to me. Can't tell what is in the holster in piccie 2.

·
Registered
117 Posts
second photo looks like a German Luger
Come on guys...It's a 1911. Judging by the extra ring in the lanyard staple on the heel of the butt, most likely in caliber .455. It looks exactly like the one on my desk right now.

Krag, if you want photos of British troops equipped with 1911 or 1911A1's, just take a look at any major reference on British Commandos. Osprey's "Army Commandos", by Mike Chappell comes to mind, pages 48, 55 and 56 for a start. Also look for photos in books on the inter-war, and WW II, RAF, particularly Coastal Command.

Regards,

Terry

·
Registered
1,188 Posts
Krag, the photo can be found on the IWM website by searching for something like "pistol", although it is some time since I found it. However, if you want a bigger version I think that you have to order it and pay. What I posted was as saved from the browser. The pistol is clearly a Colt; look at the barrel bushing and ejection port on top of the slide, rather than down to one side.

Peter

·
Administrator
10,116 Posts
There were posted a few years ago photos of RAF types with issue .455 Colt M1911, in 1939/40, and also .45ACP versions. All done up in Pattern '23 RAF Blue-gray webbing ( predecessor of both the P37 and the P44 designs (in separate ways))

Regards,
Doc AV
AV Ballistics.

·
Silver Bullet member
15,733 Posts
2nd photo is surely a 1911 or 1911a1, grip safety is clearly there, and the lower grip screw is visible; no way it is a luger.

·
Registered
380 Posts
They both appear to be WW2 vintage, and look like special forces (Commandos/SAS) of some type.
The first one is using a Pat 37 holster for a Webley, and the second one is a tanker's holster for a .380 Enfield.
He's carrying a VERY big cleaning rod.

·
Registered
1,188 Posts
Yes Austen, the first is "Private W Stack of No. 9 Commando at Anzio, equipped for a patrol with a Browning (sic!) pistol, 5 March 1944", and the second a marine of 45(RM) Commando.

Terry, I don't think that the commandos had .455SL 1911s. They would have had .45 pistols for commonality of ammo with their Thompsons. Besides, surely it is a 1911A1 (arched mainspring housing)? Something I read recently on a forum (where?) makes me wonder if the cleaning rod isn't one for a Thompson.

Peter

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.