Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
1,256 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am looking for an original W.W. II Brit Scout Rgt. Sniper Telescope. Yup, tried Ebay. I would rather get some leads from GB members. Anyone know of one complete rig let me know.

·
Gold Bullet Member/Moderator/Administrator/
29,020 Posts
Troll the big gun shows with a bulge in your pocket. The bigger shows usually have one or two there.

·
Platinum Bullet Member/Moderator
2,952 Posts
Look to the antique instrument and various antique dealers as brass telescopes are a very collectible antique. Unfortunately most polish the devil out of them as the tourists like polished brass.

·
Registered
650 Posts
Telescope Scout Regiment MkII

Good Day,
I've been very lucky over the years and found quite a few of them. Here are some older pictures of a few to give you a rough example. If you are interested, email me.

Ironically, I was walking around with of two of them at the SOS and no one asked about them. Yet, I didn't see one for sale (by the dealers) at the show.

Regards,
Michael

Attachments

·
Registered
650 Posts
the Indian reproductions I've seen are trying to copy the nautical three draw telescopes. I have not seen any reproduction military GS or Scout Regt telescopes ...'so far.' The give away is the stitching isn't that good. Most were a zig-zag pattern and not straight and the markings were sloppy. In many instances, it looked like they used a vibo pencil to engrave the tubes instead of stamping neatly.

If you look on eBay, you'll see a number of the nautical designs.

Regards,
Michael

·
Registered
163 Posts
They pop up fairly regular at Arms and Militaria fairs over here in Blighty and prices can vary wildly too. Bank on anything between £200 and £350 depending on condition and rarity of manufacture.

If you get really stuck I can always look out for one for you and send it Stateside via Michael maybe?

Cheers,

Simon.

·
Registered
14,761 Posts
Good Day,
I've been very lucky over the years and found quite a few of them. Here are some older pictures of a few to give you a rough example. If you are interested, email me.

Ironically, I was walking around with of two of them at the SOS and no one asked about them. Yet, I didn't see one for sale (by the dealers) at the show.

Regards,
Michael
Oh, My, GAWD!!! You must have cornered the market!!!!!!!! I have one to go with each of my No4Mk1T's and my L42A1 but you must have the rest of them!:laugh:

·
Silver Bullet member
2,491 Posts
I only have one Telescope Scout Regiment scope but it's about as minty as you can find and also have a Canadian altered tripod that was shortened from a tall British tripod. It's complete with a carrying sling that was originally made, not altered, to fit the shorter tripod. Interesting the Tripod must have been altered/made for the British who made the carrying sling or the sling was made for the Canadians as the sling has British proofs. You can tell the alteration of the tripod was done professionally as it either had new legs made using the original metal apparatus or, the dia of the original ones were slimmed down to fit the metal ends properly as the diameter of the legs of a cut down tall tripod would be thicker at the cut down height and would be proud were they would enter the metal ends. As you can see the taper dia of the wood of the legs fit the metal ends no overhang, Ray

·
Registered
2,456 Posts
Did GMK have any luck yet?

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.