Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Oak Leaves with Clusters Member
3,488 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I saw this sell on eBay and thought it was interesting.

Since many Mosin collectors are interested in our excursion with the British and others to Russia during the civil war, I'm posting it here for any comments....

Was it used at Archangel, Vladivostok or where? Is it real? I didn't know enough to bid but at least I downloaded the photo of the stamp.

·
Platinum Bullet Member
3,767 Posts
British Occupation BATUM BATUMI 1919
Batumi (formerly Batum) is a city on the Black Sea coast and capital of Adjara, an autonomous republic in southwest Georgia. The city was under Russian rule at the beginning of World War I, but local unrest led to Turkey entering the city in April 1918, followed by the British in December, who stayed until July 1920.
During the British occupation, the stock of postage stamps started to run out, and so in February 1919 the administration produced its own stamps.

According to Article IV of the Brest Treaty signed on 3 March 1917 between Russia and Germany, the border between Russia and Turkey had to be restored as it was in 1877, transferring back Batumi to Turkey, which was unacceptable for the locals. The Trabzon Conference, aimed at a border negotiation, was not successful and the Ottoman army annexed Batumi on 14 April 1918. Further negotiations held on 11-26 May and 31 May-4 June 1918 in Batumi led to the proclamation of the independence of Georgia, confirmed on 26 May and to the incorporation of the self-proclaimed Republic of Batumi into the new state. The Ottomans withdrew from the region after the defeat of their allies in the war, and were succeeded in 1919 by a British occupation government. The peace treaty signed on 7 May 1920 between Russia and Georgia did not prevent Russia to invade Georgia, Tbilisi being occupied on 25 February 1921. On 12 March 1921, the Ottomans entered Batumi, with the "official" aim of ousting the Russians. The Georgian government left Batumi on 17 March on its way to exile, while the remains of the Georgian army and volunteers, commanded by General George Mazniashvili, expelled on 21 March the Turks from Batumi and Adjara.

·
Oak Leaves with Clusters Member
3,488 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks so much. I am really interested in WWI history and Allied occupation in Russia is a special interest. And this is entirely new to me.

Great info.

Must be a real stamp. Sold for $21 plus $3 shipping from the UK.

·
Platinum Bullet Member
3,767 Posts
It's kind of an obscure part of the conflict - and I don't think many have ever heard of it. I had to look it up myself when I read the OP - I had stumbled across the tropic when reading an article a few years back, about oil related conflicts between the "big" wars - and now my curiosity was fueled again:)

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.