Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
4,951 Posts
The Rifle, .303 Pattern 1914 (or P14) was a British service rifle of the WW1 period. A bolt action weapon with an integral 5-round magazine, it was principally contract manufactured by companies in the United States. Some were adapted & served as a sniper rifle and as second line and reserve issue until being declared obsolete in 1947. It was the rifle issued to the 'Dads Army'.
The Pattern 1914 Enfield was the successor to the Pattern 1913 experimental rifle and the predecessor of the U.S. Rifle M1917 "The American Enfield".

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The Rifle, .303 Pattern 1914 (or P14) was a British service rifle of the WW1 period. A bolt action weapon with an integral 5-round magazine, it was principally contract manufactured by companies in the United States. Some were adapted & served as a sniper rifle and as second line and reserve issue until being declared obsolete in 1947. It was the rifle issued to the 'Dads Army'.
The Pattern 1914 Enfield was the successor to the Pattern 1913 experimental rifle and the predecessor of the U.S. Rifle M1917 "The American Enfield".
I read that some may have been converted to 30-06. Any advice on how to tell? Looking at case dimensions, the 30-06 is bigger around and longer.

·
Registered
4,951 Posts
I read that some may have been converted to 30-06. Any advice on how to tell? Looking at case dimensions, the 30-06 is bigger around and longer.
The P17 (M1917) was the 30-06 similar but different shaped furniture.
If you have a look online at side by side models you should see the differences.
I seem to remember that the magazine well in the 'wood' is different.

Someone who has both models may post pictures and highlight the differences.

·
Registered
7,875 Posts
The P17 (M1917) was the 30-06 similar but different shaped furniture.
If you have a look online at side by side models you should see the differences.
I seem to remember that the magazine well in the 'wood' is different.

Someone who has both models may post pictures and highlight the differences.
There are quite a few differences. To chamber the 3006 the action opening is longer. The "ears" are shorter, the rear sight was shortened. The shorter sight will look odd but will still function. The longer P14 sight hangs over the opening, blocking the charging slot on an M1917.
The magazine boxes are not interchangeable nor the followers. The trigger guard can be made to work and the M1917 stock often shows a gap when on a P14.

Subtle dimensional changes during M1917 production can cause fitting problems all over the rifle.
The M1917 was based on the P14 and they look like brothers, but they are actually two different rifles.

If no photos are posted in the next couple of days then I'll try to get into a safe. I only have one P14, but I also have a Winchester among the M17s.

·
Registered
4,951 Posts
Yes!........the more stool samples all the merrier.😬😉
I'm of an age where the Doctors request 'stool samples' every year to check for Cancer - not sure those sort of samples would do well on the forum, or, the forums examples be of much help to the Doctors.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.