Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
977 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
here is part 1. part 2 is when i pick up the rifle w/sling in 10 days. this is the shipping box, 2 bayonets, 1 dustcover, a homemade canvas case? and the paperwork. have not had time to figure out the opening process of the sealed envelope. i will post more pics of this stuff. oh, sk1c is petty officer 1st class storekeeper so he probably had the access to the stuff that could be traded for high value souveneirs

·
Registered
977 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
ok, i opened the envelope and it is a standard capture/bringback paper. looks like jonas had something the lt. wanted?? anyway, the paper is numbered to the rifle and one of the bayonets. who knows where the other came from. cheers

·
Registered
8,574 Posts

·
Registered
977 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
the 10 day waiting period is because my fflcr is pretty much not worth anything here in California. you now have to get a coe{certificate of experience} which is the same procedure as an ffl application. live scan, fingerprints to fbi and atf, and of course, FEES! f this state!! hopefully another few years of drought and a few good quakes and I live here still?!?! ps- i'm assuming the bayonets are fairly common?? {I need a book on Japanese edged weapons} and is the canvas cover homemade or issued??? thanks

·
Platinum Bullet member
6,996 Posts
Very nice. The canvas cover looks US rigger made. But, could be a Japanese machine gun barrel cover? Our MG barrel covers are more substantial than that.

·
Platinum Bullet member
19,305 Posts
the 10 day waiting period is because my fflcr is pretty much not worth anything here in California. you now have to get a coe{certificate of experience} which is the same procedure as an ffl application. live scan, fingerprints to fbi and atf, and of course, FEES! f this state!! hopefully another few years of drought and a few good quakes and I live here still?!?!
Freedom is only 500 miles away

·
Registered
977 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
must be nice rob to live in a state that is 2nd amendment friendly. too hot and dry for me there, i'm a fish so it's either Hawaii{maui} or south florida. leaning towards florida. gun friendly and wwwaaayyy cheaper than san diego or Hawaii. good diving and occasional surf. as far as the canvas bag it does not have any marks at all and the snap button has "lift the dot" stamped on it. field or homemade i'm thinking. no info on the bayonets???

·
Registered
1,563 Posts
no info on the bayonets???
Both bayonets are pretty common. The bayonet listed on the paperwork was refinished by Kokura as evidenced by their inspection mark added to the pommel. There's a good chance you'll find another Kokura inspection mark, the katakana character SE, on the underside of the pommel. It's scabbard is also kinda fun in that it's a tube tip with the earlier milled frog band. That variation of scabbard isn't too common. I see them most often with factory/arsenal refinished bayonets. Jon

·
Registered
977 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 · (Edited)
finally had time to pick up the rifle. the bolt and safety match the rifle and the extractor and firing pin are not numbered. the bayo lug is also not numbered. looks like the screws are staked still?? dc not numbered either. bore is awesome! blueing is somewhat spotty but this is normal i've been told for the early tjk's. stock has great color and finish. center band monopod correctly marked and slightly tweeked. now for my big question. is the sling japanese??? seems like a pretty good package altogether. any info/input is always helpful. thanks!

·
Registered
977 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
thanks for the reply big ed! it appears to be blackened brass. I guess I could scratch it to see if it's brass? it is also in like new condition for a 70 year old leather item. the stock has a great red/orange finish.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Super, Super awesome. I always had a particular affinity to things with known provenance. It isn't too often that you can identify something down to the serviceman, ship, and location it came from. It doesn't get any better than that with capture papers and documentation like that. Usually the motto is buy the rifle and not the story. Sometimes though the story is in the rifle and the accompanying documentation like it is with this one...very nice.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.