Gunboards Forums banner
21 - 35 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
445 Posts
Haven't cleaned barrel this is how it looks as received.

View attachment 3976091
Not terrible.

Snap another pic after you clean it.

That rifle reminds me of one (AK) described in Marine Sniper that was given to a villager with instructions to shoot at any American troops he might encounter, but that one was found to have no rifling left at all.

Seems like yours would have had to be buried in the dirt in a wet climate for the wood to deteriorate the way it has. I wouldn't think just getting wet occasionally would do it.

I might wipe it down and oil it, but I wouldn't alter it significantly. It tells too much of a story as it is.

I'd also like to see a pic of it assembled if you get a chance.

·
Registered
Military surplus fanatic
26 Posts
Unless it came with paperwork it’s just a really rough sks, if the rust/acid cleaning didn’t take off the import mark it could of came in from wherever possibly a bring back but with no proof - no one will know. I picked up a K98k that was sent back, but without paperwork it’s just a K98k with a story.

·
Gold Bullet member
12,721 Posts
Unless it came with paperwork it’s just a really rough sks, if the rust/acid cleaning didn’t take off the import mark it could of came in from wherever possibly a bring back but with no proof - no one will know. I picked up a K98k that was sent back, but without paperwork it’s just a K98k with a story.
:ROFLMAO: 😂 :ROFLMAO: 😂 🤣 😂 🤣 :LOL:

·
Premium Member
472 Posts
Small problem with your statement about the k98k. Yours has a date range with markings that place it in only one unique location on the planet during a timeframe that can be known. Sks's are a tad different and cannot just be assumed to be bringbacks. Some use condition criteria to justify but papers seem to be the norm. Papers on a ww2 gun are bonuses it seems while the rest are just considered without much question.

·
Registered
Military surplus fanatic
26 Posts
Small problem with your statement about the k98k. Yours has a date range with markings that place it in only one unique location on the planet during a timeframe that can be known. Sks's are a tad different and cannot just be assumed to be bringbacks. Some use condition criteria to justify but papers seem to be the norm. Papers on a ww2 gun are bonuses it seems while the rest are just considered without much question.

That’s what I’m saying, that you can’t really tell where the sks came from…. Without paperwork it’s just a rough sks. My k98k could have been a bring back but without paperwork it could have been imported back or brought home.. no one knows.

·
Registered
4,851 Posts
I always go by the old saying….no paperwork, no bringback.
NVA, North Korean, and East German guns were never imported to the US. Yet many are here in the states, without paperwork.

Also, non-import stamped No8 and No9 M21, and M20 Tokarevs, and Many type53's. China and the US had no trade until the early 1980's and they did not begin importing small arms to the US until 1984-- after import stampings were required by law.

·
Registered
5,541 Posts
Well there are still new or used parts in many of the auction houses. Might want to investigate some of the blasting services other than bead blasting. I had a buddy who's BIL was a Major during the Vietnam and he was able to bring home some pretty hood stuff. The rust damage in your pictures looks like that firearm had at one time been buried. But if no capture papers available documentation where or even when it was captured or by whom. basically just an old sks. Only thing that could even remotely pin it's probable location or time would be the serial number. Which according to your pics is still easily discernable. Frank

·
Silver Bullet Member
20,971 Posts
I would proudly display the carbine in the OP with my bringbacks.

As for value, it is not as desirable as one with papers. And the condition is an absolute value killer, it cannot even be parted out for salvage.

But it is here with no import mark, and plenty of jungle-style weathering. Papers can be faked, and so can aging on a gun. But trust your senses, folks. Why would anyone fake the aging on this one? Sometimes physical factors speak more loudly than any paper could report.

·
Premium Member
1,421 Posts
Discussion Starter · #32 ·
OK, I just lightly cleaned this thing up removal any topical dirt/smudge/grit/residue etc... and then wiped it down with Ballistol.

Took some more photos...

Boris for you:
Wood Bumper Automotive design Gas Automotive exterior
Automotive tire Bicycle part Rim Automotive wheel system Gas

JKV45 for you (after cleaning barrel rather thouroughly):

Wood Bicycle part Electric blue Musical instrument Metal
Automotive tire Wood Rim Bicycle part Electric blue
Automotive tire Bicycle part Gas Rim Automotive wheel system

I found shrapnel damage (😁)
Brown Insect Wood Pest Trunk
Tire Automotive tire Tread Wood Trunk

Oiled and reassembled: