Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,473 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What's are your thoughts on this? No import mark that I can find. All matching... can't tell on stock it's lived a rough life. Tube and piston I don't see EP'd numbers.

Here some photos

Table Wood Automotive tire Composite material Road surface
Wood Gas Automotive exterior Font Door
Wood Hand tool Gas Metalworking hand tool Tool
Wood Bumper Automotive exterior Composite material Table
Air gun Wood Trigger Gas Gun barrel
Bumper Automotive exterior Office equipment Composite material Gas
Wood Metal Auto part Still life photography Rectangle
Automotive tire Wood Bumper Motor vehicle Automotive exterior
Automotive tire Hood Road surface Wood Tread
Table Automotive tire Wood Bumper Automotive exterior

·
Gold Bullet member
12,955 Posts
The metal has the “pickled “ appearance of having been “cleaned” with an acid based rust remover.

·
Registered
too many
163 Posts
Wood does have the look of jungle rot. Hard to imagine that happening here in the US during the past 30 years or so since most SKSs were imported, and very few were imported in that condition.
I would have to agree with you on the stock I have a bring Back mosin carbine from Vietnam and the stock is a little better but same condition

·
Gold Bullet member
12,955 Posts
Would this type of acid treatment have any ablative effect on import stamps?
If the markings were very lightly stamped and if you kept replenishing the rust remover with fresh* solution and if you left the metal in the solution long enough it would erode away the markings. Of course, if you continue the acid bath long enough the entire barreled action would dissolve away. In short, these relatively weak phosphoric acid (or acetic or citric acid) solutions are not a good means to remove markings.

I suppose that stronger acids, if somehow contained so that only the area with markings is in contact with the acid (by coating the balance of the metal surface with some acid resistant material) could be used to etch away the import markings.

* It’s been decades since I took a few semesters of chemistry, which I barely passed, so I am not speaking with confidence. I just assume that as the acid solution reacts with the rust (and the substrate steel) its efficacy diminishes. In other words I really don’t know much about this subject and readers should regard my comments with skepticism. 😉

Reactions: Boris Badinov

·
Premium Member
1,473 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I always go by the old saying….no paperwork, no bringback.
Do you apply that to VN, EG's and NK's SKS's also?

Only reason I want to know if people think if this is a bringback because I want to decide how I want to clean this thing up. Or if Im just oiling it and putting away.

·
Premium Member
1,473 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
My thought is/was that you don't really scrub on bring backs to clean them up. Is that right? My thought is, if it is a probably a bringback oil it up and leave the "character" alone.

When I took this thing apart it appeared it had not been removed from the stock for quite sometime.

Does the fore end repair strike anyone as Asian fix that has been seen before?

·
Gold Bullet member
12,955 Posts
I always go by the old saying….no paperwork, no bringback.
That old saying is little more than a waste of words. It's a very complicated subject, one that I have admittedly beaten into the ground on numerous occasions. I don't have the time right now to defend my statement but I will try to return if I can get a few moments of peace and quiet. Until then, what's your opinion of the following rifles?

PS: Welcome to the forum. 😉

·
Registered
13,944 Posts
I figure it just about HAS to be a bringback. Who in their right mind would leave that rifle outside as a tomato stake for 10 years or so, or just bury it in the ground for a comparable period of time?

I have a pretty rough bringback that is in a LOT better condition than the one in the OP (but still non-functional. It is an oversized almost totally smoothbore.).

You need to remember the VC didn;t exactly present training classes on rifle maintenance.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts