Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
460 Posts
Milprileb,

Single burials were the norm, but more than one to a grave are sometimes encountered when the soldiers concerned were killed together in a particular engagement. Similarly, seeing that Morant and Handcock were executed together for the same crime, that probably accounts for them being buried in one grave.

Terry

·
Registered
21,216 Posts
Terry: Thank you for your input

I take it...the view was this was a crime in South Africa ? I think its viewed as a miscarriage of
Justice in Australia. The movie colors the ladder observation but movies are not exactly factual
on history often.

·
Registered
460 Posts
Milprileb,

I have on intention of becoming involved in any arguments. Let me just say that there is a view amongst South Africans who have seriously studied the incident, that Morant and Handcock got what they deserved. I attach another photo of their grave, but taken before restoration at the centenary of their deaths.

Terry

·
Registered
6,499 Posts
Read "Australia's Boer War", by Craig Wilcox, Oxford University Press in association with the Australian War Memorial, Chapter 14 - Scallywags and Bushwhackers - Irregulars and the Bushveldt Carbineers affair, July 1899 - May 1902.
Should you do so, you will be persuaded the view held by many in South Africa is valid.

·
Registered
1,311 Posts
Anyone who has read into the subject would come to the conclusion they were a couple of cattle duffing murderers.

The bit that ticks me off was they had a couple of equally guilty pommy mates that missed out on the same treatment for one reason or another.

·
Registered
2 Posts
In a way Morant and Handcock did all following Australian soldiers a great service. If I remember correctly after this incident the Australian government passed the Commonweath Defence Act,one part of which stated no death sentence for Australians could be carried out without the Governer-General's approval. During the Great War there were no executions of Australian troops. The British Army shot 300 or more of their own men,many with shell shock. The British High Command must have hated the fact the final decision was out of the hands.

·
Banned
18,170 Posts
Regular soliders fighting guerillas, there will always be events like this.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk
Yeah, its still happening in places like Afghanistan.
The thought regarding the trial was that the sentence was immediate, no appeals & so on. They probably did it, but even then due process wasn't followed leaving the door open for criticism.

1 - 20 of 47 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.