Gunboards Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
718 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Tell me that $350 is too much for a 1908 Brazilian short rifle. The crest is fine, bore good. I'm pretty sure both iron and wood are refinished. CIA import. Thanks for your imput.

·
Diamond Member with Oak Leaves and Swords
3,472 Posts
You're in the ball park

Hi Windage,
The M1908 Brazilian carbine with the 55 cm/21.5 inch barrel is one of the rarest of South American contract Mausers, especially since so many were converted to updated models. Even parkerized, it's an uncommon rifle. Is it matching? Can you post a picture or two?
Regards,
John

·
Registered
718 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I dug out Bell's book. Now it's looking like a cutdown rifle. The bolt is straight, and I didn't notice the barrel being short. I'm sure it was K98 like at about 24". I'm sure I would have noticed a shorter tube. To confirm that it's a 1908, that was on the right side of the reciever ring, a 4 digit SN and the circled "B" on the left.
Bolt doesn't match. Metal finish seemed more black than blue, and looked like it was on top of a fair bit of stippling (pitting?)on top of the barrel. It was on a table at the local flea market, so no photos.

·
Registered
718 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
After clicking around the auctions, I find that the blued receiver is for sure not original.

·
Registered
945 Posts
Sounds like it's maybe an 08/34? Is it chambered in 7mm?
If so, $350 for a mis-match is a somewhat high.
If it's an 08/34/30 (converted to .30-06, in the 1950's), it's worth even less.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts